1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics More Andrea Whites

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Dave - LastCav, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Dave - LastCav Active Member

United-States
    This time the Andrea White Paint set was used to paint the whites on a few 1/35 Alpine Miniatures figures. AMPS 2010 Figure Painting Seminar.

alpine andrea.png
    combatartist, jimmy1969, Illa and 6 others like this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Question- Were all these shades of white done using only the white set or were there other colours slipped in during the various stages? I have this set but have only tried it once. The result was much like the pants of the figure on the far left. You seem to have wrung out a couple of different whites.
    I was hoping to get a little more definition in some of the deeper shadows... darker than the #6 bottle in the set.

Hints... Suggestions?

Colin
    Dave - LastCav likes this.
  3. Dave - LastCav Active Member

United-States
    A little bit of Vallejo Burnt Umber should do the trick Colin!:)
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    This is what I came up with using the stock set according to the instructions
    IMGP0010.jpg
  5. Dave - LastCav Active Member

United-States
    I agree with you Colin - you need to increase the contrasts for both the shadows and the highlights - but it's looking very nice so far! Save the pure white for just the very high highlights and it will 'pop' more. And just a touch of the 'ole Burnt Umber into your shadow color should help. Keep up the good work.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks I'll give it a shot... give it the old Trade School try

Colin
  7. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    LOL! How'd I know that one was coming. Colin, one thing I have done (and I am pleased with the results) is replacing the pure white highlight with Vallejo Off White or Ivory White. Give it a try.

Jim Patrick
    ChaosCossack and Dave - LastCav like this.
  8. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    All looks pretty nice to me, is my imagination or does the guys scarf on the left look like a breakfast waffle lol.

Lew J.
  9. Dave - LastCav Active Member

United-States
    What scarf? It is a breakfast waffle!!!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I did use Vj Off White on the highlights of the shirt, to make it a little crisper. The trousers are all White Set.
    Dave - LastCav and Jim Patrick like this.
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    one of the problems i find with the Andrea white paint set is exactly what some of you state that the bottle # 6 is a very "shy" shadow , i have added english uniform to increase the contrast,but burnt umber will work great too.
    I use the last light as of pure white in a dilution ratio of 1/3 (one drop of paint and 3 drops of distilled water.
    Dave - LastCav and ChaosCossack like this.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Any more trials on the white anyone??
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Still working on the gold braid on the Chasseur :confused: Will be back at the white soon ;)
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Ok , let me know how it goes !
  15. Jon Fitzgerald New Member

How do you guys find the Andrea sets? I've never used Andrea paint before. I have mostly Vallejo and Citadel Colour. The set nature of these with the shades, and highlights interested me. But from pictures I have seen most of the pallete for the white set is very off white. Do you find that they follow each other well if used as per the stages in the instructions?
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Yes , it is a cramy white, very close to vallejo light sand , keep in mind that for best result on whites it should never be "white" as a base , it is better to use a "cold white " leaned more towards the greyish or creamy white which is the Andrea case.
    Jon Fitzgerald and ChaosCossack like this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    The set is definitely a white with a brown base as opposed to a grey base. All the colours in the sequence are various shades of cream or toupe (spelling?), even the top highlight is more of an eggshell than "white". I think it works fine for white fabrics that are based on natural wool or cotton textiles. For "harder" whites, like pipeclay belts, painted leather or modern manmade fabric, I think I'd use a white mix with a grey base... making the highs more white and the shades a little more intense.
  18. Jon Fitzgerald New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, thats very interesting. How do the recommended highlights and shadows compliment each other? Can they actually be used "straight" from the bottle as Andrea suggest, or did you find that a little mixing was still required to get the best result? I've never used a set like this myself, having always mixed my own colours.
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Jon, you can use little mixing but it is going to take a lot of Brush strokes to come up with some real contrast.
    I think the main reason they created these paint sets is to simplify the mixing and save time in doing it.
    I can only say that the shadow color in this set is a little "shy" and normally some addition of english uniform or burnt umber help to achieve the desire contrast or to show up a little bit more than straigh from the bottle.
    You can always avoid the entire shadow mixing and just use the Sepia or burnt umber wash from vallejo,starting in a dilution rato of one drop of wash to 2 drops of distilled water and build the color progressively.
    i hope i could be of help.
  20. Jon Fitzgerald New Member

Cool, thanks Daniel. I might get this set and give it a try. I was considering their black set also. Has anyone tried that one too?