1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

More 54mm face practice

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by carpo, Dec 15, 2005.

1. carpo Active Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    Once again I have some more to show on the "Magnificent Octopus" [magnum opus] that will one day be my Agincourt Diorama.
    Just another face -now I have painted three in this scale and I haven't gone blind!
    From this photo I can see I have to darken one eye (or lighten the other?)
    Any constructive criticism always welcome!
    Carpo
    [IMG]
  2. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Hi Paul!
    I agree with you, the right eye looks lighten (picture on the right side) but only a little. I think this face looks geat. Can't wait to see full figure :)

Best regards
    Artur
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul

Its a very well painted face for only your 3rd at this scale. I was just wondering, in which order do you paint the face, do you paint the flesh areas first then add the eyes in after, if so, try painting the eyes in after the flesh basecoat, that way you can make sure the eyes are correct before you start the highlighting and lowlighting the face.

Also try adding in a fine line of a dark brown or black, just where the top eyelid meets the eyeball, just on the under edge of the eyelid, that way it will give a slightly better definition to the eye, once you start adding the highlights to the face. After going through this stage I tend to just go round the eye with the flesh basecoat to tidy up the shape of the eye before doing the shading and highlights.

Its always the eyes that make a figure, get them right and the rest of the figure will look better...

I hope this will help you achieve the result you want...

Dave
  4. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Paul,

I think the fleshtones look very natural. Dontcha just hate it when one eye turns out great & the other turns out mediocre? Just touch up the lighter eye & the little guy will be off to a great start.

Mike
  5. carpo Active Member

Australia
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Figure Mad - I always do the eyes last, I will certainly try your order of doing things next time. The worst part about eyes in this scale is that they are usually just a v-shaped dent in the eyelids and so I find it difficult to get a convicing concave pupil.
    It shouldnt be too hard to put a set of "eyelashes" on this one though.

It is always good to get this sort of help.
    Sometimes someone can say the same thing you have heard before, but by expressing it differently, the message makes more sense.
    Cheers, Carpo
  6. carpo Active Member

Australia
    Here is a little more in my Agincourt project.
    Its Thomas Montague - here in the correct heraldry - Pegaso shows the heraldry back to front -Three other sources I researched show him this way. A trap to watch our for if you are painting this guy.
    I have pretty much finished him except some small details (like his hand, sheild, scabbards etc)
    They look so big in these photos - I wish it looked that big when I was painting him!
    Carpo
    [IMG]
  7. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    Great heraldic Carpo and very good fleshtones like to see it finisht.

(y) Peter
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Carpo,

You did a tremendous paintjob on this figure. Great.

Marc