1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mongol Warrior 1/9th bust.

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by fmargem, Mar 7, 2016.

1. fmargem Active Member

Brazil
    Produced by SK Miniatures, this bust is a world of textures and materials to play with.
    The sculpture is perfect, casting supperb. A delight to paint.
    I´ve painted it back in 2014 and only now I had a few good pictures taken.

Please, LEAVE A COMMENT!

Cheers,

Felipe.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    stephen, maxag and napoleonpeart like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Filipe,

Thanks for sharing this great bust, I really like that fleshtone as well as the way you have done the armour do share you mixes and methods .

Be good to see a back view as well

Nap
    fmargem likes this.
  3. narn08 Active Member

Hungary
    Nice job !
    fmargem likes this.
  4. fmargem Active Member

Brazil
    Hi, guys, thank you for your kind comments.
    Pictures of the back are really not good...sorry.
    I use vallejo acrylics for my base colour and highlights, then I come back with Winsor and Newton oils.

For red leather I use mahogany brown as a base coat, add brown sand for the first highlights and buff for the second highlights. Then I use oil paint for the midtones and shadows. usually burnt umber, van dyke brown and ivory black.

Tan leather and skin tones I tend to paint almost the same way. What differs is the base color. For tan leather I use sand or buff as a base color. Then highlight adding pale sand and white. The oil paints are burnt umber and van dyke brown. I don't usually use black on this step.
    For the skin color I usually have different mixes for each figure/bust. Usually variations of burnt siena, raw siena, brown sand, white, prussian blue and red all mixed together to give me the base color I want. Then, I get back with burnt umber and van dyke brown, both with some alizarin crimson added to heat the color up. Then I go back and forth adding more van dyke brown to the shadows and white to the highlights until I'm satisfied.

I can't paint NMM so, I like to use model masters metalizers. I usually apply a few oil washes with black and prussian blue and after some transparent red oxide.
    When painting gold color I prefer the vallejo gold tones and washes with Van dyke brown.

I don't think I can teach anything to those on this forum, but I'm glad for the curiosity!
    Thank you Nap!
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A great figure I always admired the strong face on this sculpt.

Paul.
    fmargem likes this.
  6. fmargem Active Member

Brazil
    Thank you! (y)
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    That looks great Felipe......I've been tempted on this bust for a while now and you may have taken me over the edge.
    Keep up the good work.

Wayne
  8. Oda A Fixture

Top quality.Artistic and at the same time very natural and realistic.Well done.
  9. fmargem Active Member

Brazil
    Wayne and Oda, thank you for your kind words.
    Nice price, perfect sculpture and casting. Well worth it Wayne. Go for it!

Cheers,
    Felipe