1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mongol Revisited

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Figure Mad, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

I have had a go at revisiting the Mongol, and this is the final result as I will not be touching it again.......

Let me know what you think, I do appreciate all the comments that have been said so far, and have taken them on board, I hope a have executed them as best I can, if not, then I move on to another piece to get things better.

Dave

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    amcairns, Steve, unknown01 and 6 others like this.
  2. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Excellent paintjob, Dave! Lovely work!
    Hope to get mine that good!
    Cheers, Eddy
  3. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Dave, Mongols are not my favorite subject on miniatures. But I think that through your excellent job painting the leathers, this bust is being a favorite one...
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Love the added details Dave, top job.
    Carl.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dave,

Now that I've seen your new version, I can see why you changed it. The eyes have real personality and life. They seem to capture the fierce intensity of the Mongol. The extra details you've added to the bow and the armour are superb.

Great work mate, and a real inspiration for all of us in never settling for "near enough is good enough".
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent result Dave ,all the extra work has taken this bust to another level.

Cheers David
  7. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    This is a very surprising, and dramatic rendition of a very very impressive kit. I congrat you Dave.

Especially like the overall warm tone, reflecting a unique lighting environment. It is arguably a fortunate thing that you didn't go for an additional level of highlight on the face and the fabrics, which I would be very tempted to go for, but which could turn out to be unnecessary.

Extremely well executed.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome work Dave, just awesome.
    I tip my hat for you. Your work is outstanding.

marc
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dave, superb painting and an excellent finish, especially admire the leatherwork. Stunning. (y) Shame we won't be seeng it at Euro.

Cheers Ken
  10. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Dave he looks great. I have recently purchased this Beauty and your work really gives courage to hove it a go. Compliments.
    Dimitris
  11. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Dave, Outstanding job!! Everything is in harmony now - whatever you did to the bow tip has lowered its "grab" quotient, and it is now just another feature of the overall piece. The eyes are . . . well, excellent. The effort you've put into the leather makes it very real.

I suppose the other lesson learned here, by us, is perhaps not to take every word in a post so seriously. I'm guessing we've all uttered variations of the phrase "this $#@^%&*% one's going out the window!" on more than one occasion, as our frustration has crested yet again. Your example to us has been to step back, seek input, process and rethink, and to your everlasting credit, re-execute. As good as version A was, version B is better.

Well done!!

Don
  12. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Awesome!

the detail work on the leather is outstanding!

mark
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, another stunner from your hands. I love seeing your work posted here. I must admit though, they are so much better in person, and as good as it looks here, I can only imagine what it looks like in the round.

I had to order this bust my self after seeing your version, and did so today from Colorado Miniatures...can't wait to get some paint on it, though yours will be a hard act to follow.
  14. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Absolutely amazing, I thought version one was pretty good, but what you have added to it here makes it so much better and refined. Your blending and details are top notch and I think we will all take inspiration on from this. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
    Ben
  15. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Good on ya Dave with this one. Especially like the subtle touches with the various surfaces.
    Overall the attention to detail is to be admired.

Thanks for sharing & I bet this version will encourage others to give this go too.

Kind regards,

Mike
  16. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Beautiful job Dave. The leather work is particularly well done. An inspiration for us all.

Melanie
  17. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Guys

Thanks very much, moving on and up......... next project looms its head.

Dave
  18. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Dave
    Your best ever? It could be.
    Pete
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Dave,
    Stunning finish on this.
    Cheers
    John