Mongol Heavy Cavalry Mounted Archer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I have always been supportive of the new guys on the block and have always been facinated with the Mongol culture. One of our members gave a website in a posting back in July of his website for his company Ronin Miniatures. Although I was not impressed with their painting, I took one of the pictures and processed it through my photoshop and enlarged it. I was astounded at the detail this 54mm kit had. The painting of the kit in the toy soldier fashion did not do it justice. I contacted Nic, in the Ukraine and ordered a Mounted Cavalry Archer and also a Samurai Ashgasru foot figure. This review is on the Mounted Archer.

Mounted Mongol Archer 14th Century
    Manufacturer: Ronin
    Scale : 54mm
    White Metal
    Sculpted by : V. Zhuckenkov
    17 white metal pieces

[IMG]

Although my picture is a little fuzzy, the detail is beautiful with the sculpting releif on the quiver and bow case below.

[IMG]

With how the kit is engineered, there is very little filling to be done ( belly of the horse) and almost no seam lines (1 on left boot). I was very surprised that the figure requires almost no prior cleanup. Assembly of the horse is straight forward with no gaps to be filled.

[IMG]

The rider comes in 3 basic pieces and has some beautiful detail sculpted in releif.

[IMG]

I would give this kit an excellent rating and will not hesitate to order more kits as I complete this one.

My compliments to Ronin............a very beautiful kit
  2. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Guy-

Did you get this thru a dist'y? I liked the mounted western pieces.

The link you provided lists the prices in $. I am not sure they were serious about the cost of the mounted 54 mm at $150? I spent close to that for 90 mm mounted PM piece a few weeks ago...

Keith
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comment Keith......the painted figure they sell for 160.00 USD
    The kit they have at $60.00 USD.....which is average to low for a 54mm kit.
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Ahh.. thanks... I missed that fact.

Keith
  5. Edson Member

Mexico
    Great Review Guy thanks for posting it.

Cheers
    Ed :lol:
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy,
    nice review, I would love to see it painted by you,I know you would a terrific job on it.

Cheers.

Roc.
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Another in the works on the bench is the Horse. The horse is done and now I start on the armor.

[IMG]

The other side

[IMG]

All comments and critique are welcome