1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Monash bust repainted in oils over acrylics

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, May 25, 2009.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I wasn't happy with the original paint job on this scratchbuilt bust, so I've been applying oil paint in a series of washes and stains of very dilute white spirits.

The first pic shows where I left the bust after painting it in Vallejo acrylics last year, and where I've got to since I strated repainting with oils over the weekend.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Tony.
    It was worth the effort.
    Marc
  3. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    General Sir John Monash

Tony I like VERY MUCH what you have done here, I watched your initial sculpts and thought it looked very difficult what with the forage cap and
    other areas to get together, you've done a grand job mate. The finished uniform colours look just right, a pleasure to see a unvisited subject. Then with your base about to be finished, will I'm sure set it up nicely.

;)Very well done and thanks for posting, regards RobH.
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    I think you've added a bit of depth and richness that was missing from the initial paint-up Tony. Nice work!

Jay H.
    Okc
  5. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hello, Tony.
    The skin tone is very wonderful.
    The feel of a material of the uniform is also wonderful.
    I liked it very much.
    An amazing work!

Mitsutaka
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I'm not a painter, but I know what I like. Does that count? I like the changes you've made very much. Much more life-like skin tone and the uniform color looks great!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Tony,

I like it very, very much!...

Regards from Portugal
    Pedro
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    This has come out really nice.
    Cheers
    John
  9. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Turned out really nice Tony...........

Ray ;)
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hey Tony, looks a lot better. The Oils have given more depth and colour to the skin tones. The only thing I'm not sure on is the hair line at the back of his head. I haven't seen any pics from behind him, but the hair line looks quite drastic from the hair to the shaved section. This could be quite true in reference, and be a hair style of the days back then.
    Good to see you back at it, and would love to see it in the flesh soon.
    Ben
  11. Mark S Guest

Looks very good, Tony.
    You've added depth and subtle detail to what was already an impressive piece.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for all your kind comments and generous encouragement.

The process of applying very dilute stain/washes of oil paint mixed with white spirit is similar to using acrylics and building up colour through multiple thin layers.:) The good thing is it dries dead flat. The hard part is knowing when to stop.;)

I'm taking my time with repainting this bust and concentrating on blending and smooth colour transitions.;)

Attached Files:

13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    the revised colouring is very very nice!

the variations around the beard/mouth and cheek area is very life like.

i like it alot

Mark
  14. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great improvement Tony!

cheers,
    Marcel.
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Tony. I like the richness of the new version much better.
  16. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Tony,
    the first paint was very good. I say was in italics because the oil paints do give a degree of texture and richness to figure now.

As I add to my collection, I will have to turn my hands to oils too; if you can do it, so can I!

Cheers
  17. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    G'day Tony,

That is an improvement. I think the skin tones look alot more realistic now because with the acrylics they looked a little too yellow (in my opinion). The figure looks like it has more depth to it. I also like the change in the uniform colour also :)

AJust one more thing to tell you, I lurk this forum more these days than put posts into it ;) *sigh* I need to get back to modelling a bit more these days :/

Cheers,
    Daniel
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mark, you're too kind.

Thanks Marcel & Guy, I agree.

Thanks Jamie & Danny, I appreciate your feedback.
  19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    really nice improvemt to an already nice figure Tony, nice idea to go with the oil washes/filters.

Steve
  20. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent work Tony ,the work you have done with the oils has been worth the effort.

Cheers David