1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Mohawk warrior

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mariner, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Hi Guys,
    Here's my first try in Native American fleshtones in this 54mm Mohawk...have a bit of fixing to do on his face but I think when I get the clothing done the fleshtones will balance...I hope:confused:
    I have a special painting holder but perched him on the base for the photos. Am working in acrylics.
    Comments welcome,
    Mary

Attached Files:

Jamie Stokes, Steve and gordy like this.
  2. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Good work Mary. The Eastern tribes had a slightly lighter skin tone than the Native American tribes of the plains and further westward. Some of the plains Indians were extremely dark. The skin tones will change / balance once you have the other colors completed.
  4. Edward A Fixture

England
    Good start Mary. Who makes this figure?
  5. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Hi Edward, it's one of Andrea's Golden West series.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice job Mary, considering this is out of your comfort zone as far as subject. I like the skin tone you've achieved. Was this done in acrylics (you usually work in oil)? If so, care to share? I have an Iroquois warrior in my grey army I keep passing over because I fear he'll end up looking like a European dressed up in buckskin and feathers.

Can ya help out a brother down on his luck?

Colin
  7. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I have several Indian vignettes that I want to start but I also have reservations about the skin tones. I think you got it. Great work so far. I share Colin's sentiment, if I may ask, what colors did you use?
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very good start Mary.

marc
  9. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    I figured it would be a bit challenging in acrylics, so I used 3 colours; raw sienna, a base flesh (Vallejo) colour and burnt sienna.
    I admit I 'winged it' on this mix.
    I mixed the first 2 with a very slight tint of burnt sienna for the base until I liked the colour. Make sure you go easy on the BS or the whole mix turns orange:eek:
    For highlights, I have a bottle of very pale off-white or cream (my local shop was unloading them; I think it came from a flesh colour kit) and added tiny bits of that until I had the highlight I wanted. I used raw umber for shadows.
    It all came together and the trick is to play until it seems realistic to you.
    Also, my good friend Carl Barton pointed me to this link:http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1310-ethnic-skintones
    It's a great reference.
    Mary
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  11. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Good start on the skintones Mary.

Cheers David
  12. Mark S Guest

Nice start Mary.
    I look forward to more.