1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Modern SAS Unifroms and Equipment reference?

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Claudio Setti, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Claudio Setti New Member

Canada
    Hi Gang,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books that show uniforms of modern SAS soldiers?

I usually get books from Osprey but I couldn't seam to find one on the SAS.

Any recommendations?

I would like to create a sculpture of one but lack accurate info!

Claudio
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Claudio

Do you want British or Australian SAS??

I'm not certain about the Brits (22 SAS Rgt.) but Aust. SASR troops in Afghanistan and Iraq wear a combination of different camoflague uniforms, local clothing and head dress and whatever else comes to hand. Because these forces are often required to operate in "bandit country" they will often wear local tribal clothes to be less conspicious.

SAS and most other SF units will individually customise their webbing, weapons and personal equipment to meet their own needs and the type of operation they are on (ie; long range recon, ambush, force protection etc) , so there is usually a big variation in the look of individual troopers.

Sorry this probably doesn't help much but there really is no hard and fast rules to depicting SAS on operations.

Cheers
  3. Claudio Setti New Member

Canada
    Oh shoot!

You are right - I forgot there were two SAS forces... my apologies!

thank you for the info - that actually does help.

Actually I wouldn't mind a book with more info on both. I do have a special forces book that touches upon both groups but with not enough reference to accurately make a sculpture...

Do you know what kind of "sweater" (for lack of a better term) the SAS wear... its all black. I've seen them wear it with the traditional British camo pants. I think it is similar to black sweater the US Special forces wear...

If you know where I could gather more info on either that would be wonderful! :)

Claudio
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Claudio

The "black sweater" is probably a black pair of overalls with a black balaclava or ski mask over the head (or it could just be an ordinary black sweater!!!).

This type of uniform (black kit) is more common to CT (Counter Terrorism) work (as in the Verlinden 120mm SAS figures - Operation Nimrod Iranian Embassy Seige) rather than combat operations. Having said that, it is entirely possible that some troopers will wear black kit on combat ops, especially if they are working at night. As I said before, there are no rules when it comes to depicting SAS or other SF troops in the field. They can pretty much wear what they want (within reason).

The best source of modern SAS pics (particularly Iraq and Afghanistan) come from news media websites.

Cheers
  5. chris1 Active Member

HEY GUYS
    What about the NZSAS one of our guys has just been awarded the VC.
    Tony don't forget your trans tasman cousins

Chris
  6. chris1 Active Member

Hey Guys
    Dont forget the NZSAS.
    One of our Troopers has just been awarded a Victoria Cross.
    Shame on you Tony for forgetting your trans tasman cousins.

Chris
  7. Claudio Setti New Member

Canada
    Thanks for the help! :)

Claudio
  8. Claudio Setti New Member

Canada
    Cool!

I had no idea NZ had its own SAS!

I bet none of you know the name of our Canadian Special Forces though! ;)

I think I may do them first since they aren't as well known (mostly because they are extremely secretive). Incidentally the British SAS use our C8 version of the Colt M4...

Claudio
  9. Argyll Member

Scotland
    Caudio, the SAS looks like most British units on Ops, other than a few personalised items of webbing, what distinguishes them from regular forces is their choice of personal Weapons and Side Arms

The sweater you refer to is the wooly pully, commonly worn in Barracks during the 1980's and early 90's before they were replaced with the Combat 90 Cammo shirts and trousers.
  10. Claudio Setti New Member

Canada
    Ah... I see - thanks! :)

Claudio
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Chris

Yes, I forgot to mention NZ SAS. Sorry about that!!

Cheers
  12. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Hey tell us something more about that VC !!!
  13. gwensp New Member

United-Kingdom
    You can also add the Rhodesian SAS to the list of SAS units. It was disbanded in 1980 when Rhodesia became Zimbabwe.

On normal military operations the SAS regiments (the regular 22nd and the TA 21st 23rd regiments) will wear normal UK camo uniforms and the standard webbing. However if they are doing recce ops them may adopt the attire of the local populace. It was also not unknown for SAS members to wear the headgear and badges of local UK units in the area they were operating in This was quite common on 1 BR corps exercises with BAOR during the 70s and 80s

The TA regiments are not used in the anti terrorist or internal security roles

A fairly typical looking SAS member on "normal" ops from the 80s can be seen here (note the M16, 58 pattern kidney pouches and Berghaus DPM bergan)
    http://www.army.mod.uk/img/royalsignalsmuseum/shop/prints/print011large.jpg

This is from a painting in the Royal Signals museum of SAS Sgt Joseph Mather MM (RSigs) during the Falklands war.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Australian Special Forces in Iraq & Afghanistan

Hi guys

I've attached a few pics from the Australian Army's website showing Spec Ops forces on Counter Terrorist training operations (SAS in black kit) and combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2003 (both SAS and 4RAR).

Most of the soldiers pictured are wearing the Australian designed and made Aus-Cam desert camoflague pattern uniform which is standard issue to all Australian forces serving in the Middle East. The most obvious difference between these Spec Ops guys and ordinary soldiers are their weapons, and their headgear.

I hope these pics help.

Cheers

Attached Files:

15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Canadian special forces. Joint task force 2.
  16. chris1 Active Member

Hi Guys
    Heres a bit more about Willie Apiatas'VC
    Sorry Claudio if this is a bit of a hijacking of your thread

It was just after 3am when the blast of the enemy rocket propelled grenades and machines gun fire ripped into the inky darkness of an Afghanistan hillside.

With his upper right arm shredded by shrapnel, and bleeding profusely, the young SAS soldier lapsed in and out of consciousness. He and his mates, including Willie Apiata, were caught in crossfire in the undulating starkness of the surrounding countryside.

Apiata, unhurt but stunned, was jolted off his vehicle. His critically injured mate at first told Apiata he could make the 70 metre run back to the safety of the main Kiwi group and to the medical assistance he so desperately needed. The men were no longer in darkness however. One of their vehicles was immobilised, and the other was on fire, illuminating the only pathway the men had to safety.

As his mate lapsed into unconsciousness and machine gun fire crackled around him, Apiata made a decision. Fully exposed in the glare of battle to heavy enemy fire and into the face of returning fire from the main troop position, he heaved the injured man onto his back and carried him uphill back to his base. That he was not injured, nor his mate further injured, remains one of life’s mysteries.

There was, in the words of an eyewitness. “a shitload of stuff coming towards them - rocket propelled grenades, machinegun fire, small arms fire. There were explosions everywhere, and they were caught in the middle – how they got through we will never know.”

With the injured man out of further harm’s way, Apiata rearmed himself and returned to join the skirmish. The troop could now concentrate entirely on winning the fire fight. After an engagement lasting about twenty minutes, the assault was broken up and the attackers - there were more than 20 of them, and about 12 New Zealanders - were routed with significant casualties, with the troop in pursuit.

Medical opinion is that had the injured man not received immediate medical attention, he would almost certainly have died. He has fully recovered from his injuries, and continues to work with the SAS. By his actions, Lance Corporal Apiata removed the tactical complications of the troop’s predicament in having to rescue the men.

The decision the then-32 year old Lance Corporal Apiata made in the mayhem of that night three years ago has changed his life irrevocably. Willie Apiata, now a corporal, has won New Zealand’s highest Honour, the Victoria Cross, for his actions in April 2004. The Victoria Cross is the highest recognition for valour in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to members of the armed forces of Commonwealth countries.

PS:Tony what about trooper Mark Donaldson?
  17. Claudio Setti New Member

Canada
    Not at all!

The Ausie SAS are very cool...

Incidentally, going back to my original question I got a book caled "Special Forces In Afghanistan" which has excellent photos of the uniforms worn by the soldiers of Spec Ops from various countries. Really good reference!

Claudio
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Chris,

I had the great honour of shaking hands with SAS Trooper Mark Donaldson VC last Saturday at the ANZAC Day parade here in Perth. I'll try to find his citation for the VC he recently won in Afghanistan and post it here on pF. It's stirring stuff and just like Willie Apiatas, he risked his life under heavy enemy fire to save the lives of others.

Typical of the modesty of this most unassuming man, he rejects any suggestion that he's a hero. He was invited by the Prime Minister to lead the ANZAC Day parade in Sydney this year, and chose instead to march with his mates in the SAS contingent here in Perth.

Sadly for Trooper Donaldson his days on active duty with the SAS are probably over. As a VC winner he will probably be wrapped in cotton wool and prevented from returning to Afghanistan to do another tour of duty with the Regiment.
  19. chris1 Active Member

Hi Tony
    Yep I think the same is true for Willie Apiata.
    If you get a chance try to track down the documentary and book on Willie,both are Called Reluctant Hero.
    Also there was quite a cool photo of Both our VC winners shaking hands that was published in one of our newspapers.

I'd also recommend reading Johnson Beharrys book a very nice read.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    The award of the Victoria Cross was made following Trooper Donaldson’s heroic actions when his patrol was ambushed in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan, on 2 September last year.

The citation for the medal reads, in part: “In the early stages of the ambush, Trooper Donaldson reacted spontaneously to regain the initiative. He moved rapidly between alternate positions of cover engaging the enemy with 66mm and 84mm anti-armour weapons as well as his M4 rifle. During an early stage of the enemy ambush, he deliberately exposed himself to enemy fire in order to draw attention to himself and thus away from wounded soldiers. This selfless act alone bought enough time for those wounded to be moved to relative safety.” As the ambushed vehicles manoeuvred to withdraw, with the unwounded members of the patrol running alongside, a severely wounded Afghani interpreter was accidentally left behind.

The citation continues: “Of his own volition and displaying complete disregard for his own safety, Trooper Donaldson moved alone, on foot, across approximately 80 metres of exposed ground to recover the wounded interpreter. His movement, once identified by the enemy, drew intense and accurate machine gun fire from entrenched positions. Upon reaching the wounded coalition force interpreter, Trooper Donaldson picked him up and carried him back to the relative safety of the vehicles then provided immediate first aid before returning to the fight.” The patrol was ultimately able to disengage from the action and withdraw with its wounded, all of whom survived.

As the citiation concludes: “Trooper Donaldson’s actions on this day displayed exceptional courage in circumstances of great peril. His actions are of the highest accord and are in keeping with the finest traditions of the Special Operations Command, the Australian Army and the Australian Defence Force.”

Attached Files: