1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Modern British Infantry, Afghanistan, 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jun 5, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the final pics of my latest figure; The Imperial Gallery's 120mm British Infantryman, Afghanistan.

My sincere thanks to Rod Hardwick for his generosity and encouragement with this figure;), and to everyone who offered their encouragement and helpful tips on my WIP thread.(y)

I hope you like it.:D

Attached Files:

Andyfettes, flart1943, Argyll and 5 others like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Turned out very cool Tony! Congrats on finishing him!

If I can still make a suggestion, adding some colour gradient to the goggles might look cool. Maybe more a matter of painting fashion than realism though.The way it is now may be more realistic....

Cool job, like it!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Turned out well Tony, but I'd have to agree with Adrian maybe a bit of variety on the goggles. Purely as a bit of interest.
    Great job,
    Carl.
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    An awesome display, Tony!

Some touches on the goggles and you are golden!
  5. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely finish Tony!

Mark
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great end result Tony,whats next?

Cheers David
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your comments mate. I'll have a go at doing a colour gradient on the goggles.

Hi Carl, thanks once again for all your support.

Hi Michael, thanks for your generous comments.

Thanks Mark, I'm happy with the finish and happy to have finished. Glad you like the final result mate.

G'day David, thanks mate. I still have a few WIP's on my workbench that I intend to finish in the coming months, but I'm tempted to start another bust. I have a few options in my Grey Army to choose from, so I'm rather spoilt for choice.
  8. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Great work Tony. I think you did a beautiful job all over and especially with the camos. Bravo!
  9. HiroshiAirborne Active Member

United-States
    Inspiring work, my friend! Can't stress enough how well done the camo is.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dimitrios, thank you for your comments. I'm glad you like it.

Hi Hiroshi, you make me blush. Very nice of you to say, thanks.
  11. BobLff257 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    British Soldier

Hi Tony,
    It really is a thrill to see a piece of my work that has been built, painted and enjoyed by someone and completed to such a high standard - well done!
    It is how I would envisage the figure to be, weathered and earthy and despite being camouflaged, it still possesses 'colour'. A big thank you also for your kind preview with this figure. I am hoping to follow up the subject with a more modern soldier with the Osprey body armour and modernised weaponary when the sculpter is ready. Once again mate, well done.

Cheers,

Rob
  12. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Tony.
    The Awesome camo pattern!
    It's very beautiful and wonderful.
    I don't like drawing the camo pattern.
    However you're very successful.
    I like it very much.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, excellent painting and a great finish, especially nice work on the camo's. (y)

Cheers Ken
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Rob, thanks for your generous comments mate. Your own painted version was my inspiration for this figure.

Hi Mitsutaka, thanks mate. Perhaps when you have finished painting every Verlinden figure ever made, you might try one of these Imperial Gallery figures. I think you'd really like them.

G'day Ken, thanks mate. I really like painting camo. It's quite a challenge to highlight, shade and blend, but the results are very satisfying.
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Tony,

nice Taliban hunter.:D
  16. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Very nice work Tony, I admire your patience to paint all those difficult patterns.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Pedro, thanks mate. The figure certainly looks like he means business. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of his bayonet.

Hi Christos, thank you for your comment mate. I really like painting camoflague so I don't find it difficult, but it is chllenging to make it look realistic rather than just painted on.
  18. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Very well done mate, I am also loking at doing current British gulf wars as well so this figure will be on list, tell me what is the actual cammo colour,khaki brown perhaps ?:)
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Rob,

I'm not sure what colour the actual camo colours are called, but for painting I used a mix of Buff and Ivory to create the underlying "sand" colour for the uniform, and a 70/30 mix of Khaki Grey and Medium Flesh for the "brown" patterns over the sand.

I added a touch of Burnt Umber to this "brown" mix for the deep shadows, and a touch of Ivory for the upper highlights. I'm referring to Vallejo acrylics here.

To emphasise the weathering effect and to make the uniform look dusty and faded, I dry brushed tiny amouts of Naples Yellow mixed with Titanium White oil paint and a drop of White Spirits over the shoulders, sleeves and tops of the trousers.

To emphasise the darker shadows, I dry brushed a very small amount of Prussian Blue mixed with Van Dyke Brown, which was diluted in White Spirits. The beauty of this approach is that the acrylic colours show through the oils but become tinted rather than obscured by the oils.

The oil paints make blending of transition areas smoother than acrylics as they can be worked for a longer period of time and dry dead flat due to the evaporation of the White Spirits.

I hope this helps mate. Using oils over acrylics is a process I'm still experimenting with, but I like some of the results I'm getting, and it certainly gives more many more options than just painting acrylics alone.