1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review modelling and painting ww1 allied figures by Mike Butler

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by grasshopper, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    E
    Excellent to hear Hopper!
    Liquin has always been a favourite for managing oils sheen.
    A go to for metals, leather, even sweat effects.
    Keep us posted on other experiments.
    Glad to see of value.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Andrew Belsey and Nap like this.
  2. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Finally got my copy as a birthday present and WOW!
    What a treat!
    I've only flicked through the pictures and read the first few pages but my word is this a classic.
    Super job Mike, and thanks so much for sharing your talents with us lesser mortals. I know I will never come even remotely close to your standard, but hopefully a little of the magic will rub off somehow.
    We live in hope...
    Cheers
    Neil
    Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Again to kind Neil.
    Really do like hearing that you think it is if value & will be putting it to good use.
    Remember still time to get into draw for my “Henry” of the NZMR bust. Look forward to getting your entry.
    Thank you for followup.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Merryweather likes this.
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Grateful for honest, fair & thorough review from Jay Martin in latest Historical FigureMentors issue. Especially given the esteemed line up featured - artists I have long admired including my friend John Belcher, along with David Powell & Matt Wellhouser. Along with other international artists Jose & Fabrizio, nice learning from their projects too. https://figurementors.com/product-category/the-figurementors-magazine-historical-edition/

Ref this magazine, it reminds me of Military Modelling in its heyday without the ads!! If you haven’t given it a go yet, maybe this issue is one to try :)
    B43317A4-3DCA-4FBA-A7C8-0655AF7954AD.jpeg
  5. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Mike,
    It took me a while but I’ve finished it and enjoyed reading your book.
    It is quite different in structure from Andy’s book. Your style is to literally dive in to get painting and converting. The notes on painting and conversions are copious, backed up by the pics. I love the idea of personalizing every figure to tell a story. Here is where the images overwhelm. It is very difficult to tell which are real images and which are your finished works. Absolutely magnificent!
    I really think that both Andy’s book and yours have to be read together to get this holistic understanding for representing WWI in miniature.
    Best rgds,
    Victor
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    So pleasing to hear you are getting value from the books Victor.
    Andy & I both designed our book separately with our different approaches to teaching. I used a method of teaching used throughout the years to clearly explain & train skills.
    I’m planning a book launch with Andy in a couple of weeks with “Henry” the bust draw too - will share more details here soon.
    Hoping you can make it.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Francisco likes this.