1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Model Railway, Led Lighting!

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    As, Baldric would say I have a, 'Cunning Plan'!.... To use scale railway LED Lighting for a 90mm, indoor vignette. Both Flickering, and static! to create an open fire effect, and, oil/candle/torch effect on the walls, or Mantle. Has anyone had any experience of this? and problems that have been encountered!.. I have found led's as small as 1.8mm for candles, may use 3mm for fire effect. This is purely for future reference, as this is just a fledgling idea at the moment.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I've looked around.
    There is some member on Pf ( i thought greek) who made a vignette where he used led light as a candle on whalls.
    I thought it whas called "the Lesson "
    So, it is possible.
    Maybe you can find more info here: http://www.boxdioramas.com/default.htm
    Marc
    Tubby-Nuts' likes this.
  3. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Marc!........ Many thanks. This link is fantastic!.. And by, Shep Paine!.Bill Horan. and others. But now thinking, my idea might be a little over ambitious, at 90mm..... Great stuff though. (y)

Mark
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Tubby-Nuts' likes this.
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Take a 1 LED of 10mA , a battery of 3V and a resistor of 150Ohms 0,4W is enough ) and a switch; for a LED of 20mA use resistor 68Ohms (Ohms law)
    That's all for a simple non flickering LED

or have a look http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page446.html
    Best
  6. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Tubby, that's weird, I've only been thinking myself of something similar. I have buildings in mind with flickering candles and torch light inside. Micro miniatures might be an option, I've not tried yet as plenty on at the mo but I'm seriously thinking of doing something soon so stand by.
  7. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  8. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Del!........ Regardless, of the lego aspect, its the use of lighting, and wiring, and power options, that has peaked my interest! and the viability of this 'Possible Project'. (Want to do a 'Bust', first). Then look at a grand project! .. This guys use of, 'Gift Card', sound cards was very interesting! Thanks.(y)

Mark
  9. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Karlosfandango!... It does set the mind, to the possibilities of how it would look,'..., off and running', doesn't it! :D..... What scale are you thinking about?

Mark
  10. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Mirosoft!.... Thanks for the 'Schematics'..... I remember trying to build a 'Radio', at college, 30 yrs ago!.. using the 'Ohms-Law',..... etc!... I was crap then! as I am now!:(

Mark
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Might be worth popping in to your local Maplins if there's one near you Mark, as a rule the guys there are pretty clued up

Steve
  12. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Helm, I forgot about those guys!..., but, I'm not sure if they do really small scale stuff, It's worth having a look though!(y)

Mark
  13. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark.
    Well i normally do armour 1/35 but took to figures a couple of years ago, mixed periods really but ancients are my fav.

But I've slowly been sucked in by the fantasy stuff, all types of stuff really. I recently got my son a Warhammer building and he gave me permission to go to town on it, old stone work, moss growing, rust stains and general weathering you know the picture. I want to go a step further and add the lighting effects if I can and a light dusting of snow perhaps not decided yet.
    I'm just researching what I'll need to achieve this. I might even try and add a dragon in there somewhere. The scale is around 32mm Mark I think. Citadel miniatures.
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    Theres a possibility you could use fibre optics rather than leds as well

Steve
  15. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Karlos(f),....... 32mm!..?? 'Bloody-Small!.. saying that! you could get a hell of a lot going on, with such a scale.... So yes, I can visualise your idea. ... A battle in a Box!(y)

Mark.
  16. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Helm!... Fibre optics, require a base light source to transfer along the thread, to the end of the 'Optic point'..... Much harder to achieve!... Oh, if such fibres where available, in LED form! I would be laughing! But sadly they are not!... :arghh:

Mark
  17. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Back in the 70's when I worked in Beatties in London there was a dolls house manufacturer by the name of lundby (or something similar) who did a range of dolls house furniture with flickering candles and lanterns. A few of the modellers of the time were using them and I remember a considerable number displayed at the Model Engineer exhibition at Wembley.
    Tubby-Nuts' likes this.
  18. Helm A Fixture

England
    That's why you build a power box in the base and run the optics during construction through the walls etc ;)
  19. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
  20. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Exactly as Steve says. It's really easy to run the fibre optics, the trick is to isolate the light from specific LED's so theres no leakage.
    The other advantage is you can have a sort of sliding tray arrangement with all your gubbins hidden.
    Try and get hold of the Mil Mod that featured Marijn van Gils BD of the guy hiding in the wardrobe. It's a first class step by step tutorial as is the John Shley and Roberto Spalonzi's Mil Mod article on their Euro BoS from a few years ago.
    Unfortunately I threw out all my old MM's recently so can't help you with the issue numbers
    Cheers
    Derek