1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Model Cellar Von Richthofen WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by theseeker, Sep 30, 2007.

1. theseeker Member

United-States
    I am going to try the blue today, but I am a bit nervous about it.
  2. theseeker Member

United-States
    I added a little blue and yellow ochre. It looks a little cooler, but my lighting is off...lost one of my lamps.

Attached Files:

3. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Great colour
    I've got a wwI german waiting to be painted (after two ACW figures), so I'll be asking for your uniform mix soon.
  4. theseeker Member

United-States
    I thought the bigger canvas would be easier! Wrong answer. I tried to cool down the flesh tones but I am not sure if i did. I have to re-do the eyes as soon as they dry and the hat is in the beginning stages. Any suggestions at this point would greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. dave mosher Active Member

Rocky:

A couple of years ago I made a full figure from Mike Good's 150mm Richthofen bust, which appears to be a smaller version of his incredible 1/6 scale bust. In most of the photos I see of him, his top eye lids are very prominent, heavy shadows around the eyes, and in the case of my figure, when he was not squinting, the white area beneath his pupils can be seen. Hope this helps.

Regards

Dave

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. theseeker Member

United-States
    Dave,
    Thanks for the tips! This is a diificult task, especially for an old dog trying to learn new tricks.
    Rocky
  7. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    well looks good so far Seeker, all i would chime in is;

maybe some more highlighting on the Labial fols to emphasize the shadow you have in the crease and a bit on the tops of the ears. Eyes look great to me!

regards--- tim.
  8. theseeker Member

United-States
    Tim, thanks for the compliment and the advice! Rocky
  9. redalb2253 New Member

United-States
    Was this ever finished?
  10. theseeker Member

United-States
  11. redalb2253 New Member

United-States
    Thanks for the link really nice work and the eyes set it off
  12. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    The cuts of the woolen and leather greatcoats were very similar.
    [IMG]
    Greatcoat with the collar turned up.

[IMG]
    Flying jacket. Note the length. Fellow on the left in a greatcoat; gentleman on the right in leather.
    :)
  13. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    IIICorps,

Nice pics, wrong assumptions. The famous Sanke card closeup of Richthofen was indeed the inspiration for this bust. It was not until I was well into the sculpt that I learned the garment he is wearing, with the red colored collar is NOT a great coat.

It is, in fact, a cloak. The give-aways are the colored collar which was not a feature of great coats, and the lack of "lapels" as would be expected with a double breasted great coat. So, I had to do some second guessing to make the bust wearing a normal greatcoat which would be made of grey CLOTH with a GREY collar.

Your second photo, also a Sanke postcard (or variation thereof) shows Manfred in a leather flyer's coat. A great many photos of the Baron show him wearing this specific coat and it seems to date to his early flying days when he flew Roland CIIs in an observation squadron. It is the same coat worn by Dave Mosher's cool "conversion". These types of coats were common in the earlier days of the war (prior to 1917) and seem to be the same as those worn by drivers of trucks and military vehicles.

The fellows of his squadron, from left to right are: Sebastian Festner, Emil Schaefer, Manfred, his brother Lothar von Richthofen and Kurt Wolff. Festner, Schaefer and Lothar all wear variations of the standard great coat. In flying units these were sometimes fur lined. The coat Wolff is wearing is NOT German coat. It is a captured British flying coat. Many German fighter pilots wore these as trophies and they should not be confused with German made leather coats such as the one Manfred is wearing.

I hope this helps.

Mike