1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book MMM Sergeant Major 11th Hussars 1854

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Ben-nl, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello everybody,

My english is not so good but I hope you understand me well.
    I isn't my hobby or practice to write a review-thread, but I just have to get this off my chest.

In the past month I've bought some figures of MitchesMilitaryModels. One of them is the sergeant major 11th Hussar 120 mm figure, sculpted by Moz (Maurice Corry).

When I saw the pictures of the figure I said WOW, I need this figure. I remember me the nice painting of Keith Rocco.
    When I get the figure, I opened the box and I was disappointed. When I study the uniform and I compare it with the painting of Keith Rocco and other uniformplates, I'm missing some deatils on the figure. The plume, the gilt chain with the lions on the cap, the caplines, the right details of the backside of the collar, the swordknot , the spurs...
    There are some mistakes too: the right position of the s-m badges of the rank on his right sleeve and there are tassels on the lines instead of acorns...

So, I hope you understand I was disappointed. Take a look and take your conclusion...

Ben

zoom_bc7af63ea292f7b2718e6957f1b9182b.jpg
    P1130476.JPG P1130477.JPG P1130479.JPG P1130478.JPG
    P1130483.JPG 11thhussarssgt1854.jpg
    Mike S. likes this.
  2. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    by the way,
    No wire for the caplines included
    No slings for the sword and the sabretache.
    No paintinginstructions.
    A lot of airbubbles and heavy mouldingslines included...
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ben ,

This is one figure I was thinking about but you have pointed out several things (seems to be a lot of things missing) ....can I suggest you contact Grod and see what he says ...especially about the casting concerns you raised ...or perhaps he might see this thread .

Not sure what references were used regarding the rank badges either

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Nap
    Ben-nl likes this.
  4. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Quality of casting is surprising - guys are usually quite good about screening and what goes in the box - so I am sure Gordon will take this seriously.

Details of the sculpt - a different issue in my opinion, as it is possible to see what you buy or request more pictures before you commit to buy. Again, sculpt doesnt have to follow the painting 100%, it would be nice of course.
    I think this goes back to heated discussions of historical accuracy and how important it is to people - and unfortunately, it isnt unless some one has special interest.
    Can things be saved by conversion?

To be honest, I am not impressed by some of Moz'es recent sculpts I had a chance to hold in my hands (I know I know, there will be a storm in a second), especially horses.
  6. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hello Ben.
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    With regard to the uniform details I cannot comment as I am not an expert in crimean war uniforms but will pass this on to Moz for his views.
    If you need any parts replaced please feel free to contact me. I know you have my details and I will ensure replacements are sent to you.
    Cheers
    Gordon
    Wings5797 and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Part of this goes to the heart of what customers rightly or wrongly expect.

Most large scale resin figure kits seem to expect the customer to make the sabre/sabretache/musket slings from, for example, sheet pewter or similar material. Some sellers include such material but MMM don't. For me that's no big deal, I have several sheets of the stuff. However I would expect the scabbard/sbaretache connecting rings to be supplied along with the strap buckles, these are in this kit but not always in others. Similarly caplines are usually expected to be made by the modeller from fine wire, again sometimes supplied. I'm not sure such items could be adequately cast in resin even in large scales.

The plume & gilt chains aren't depicted on the box photograph of the figure so should they be included, arguably not?
    There does appear to be some decoration at the rear of the collar absent compared with the reference print shown by Ben.
    Rank insignia isn't present on the right sleeve of the figure although it's described as a Sergeant Major. My first reaction was that perhaps the sculpt actually represented a trooper but if that was the case then perhaps there should also be a carbine sling over the left shoulder?

I've found before that spurs and sword knots aren't always included in figure kits but as these are a little more complex to make then perhaps they should always be included. PLEASE PLEASE include an extra set of spurs, these always have a suicidal tendency to fly off the modelling surface.
    The references I have suggest that the cords should end in acorns not tassles but I wouldn't contemplate modifying the kit as it is.

Some suppliers include painting guides, some don't & some rely on a painted example on the box. Should they be included?
    Also and this is a matter of personal choice but I would prefer some nominal form of groundwork supplied with the figure.

I'm very surprised that Ben reports casting problems with the kit. I've bought several kits from MMM over the last few years and never had those problems.

Geoff
    Ben-nl, napoleonpeart and Gaudin like this.
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    According to the photos on the MMM web site, the rank is present in the form of inverted chevrons surmounted by a crown above to cuff trefoil. This is the correct rank badge for a Sergeant Major, although references do vary (possible the difference between a squadron and regimental sgt. major?).

Mike
  9. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. That explains the apparent disparity between kit and quoted sources.

Geoff
  10. moz A Fixture

England
    Hi
    I did not copy the figure in the painting by keith rocco, that was just someone elses assumption , it was never put forward by me.
    The figure is of an RQMS (regimental quartermaster sergeant)which although a warrant officer it is an appointment, not a rank, the chevrons and crown are correct.
    The lions head bosses and chin scales are devoid on at least one photo and two drawings made in the crimea,(in fact cap lines are missing too) I for one wouldn`t want to wear a curb chain with a beard, its like having a metal watch strap on hairy arms, although some obviously did, no plumes!

I will admit I`ve missed a trefoil knot on the rear of the collar this is an oversight on my part. Sorry!
    This is an extant example of a sergeants pelisse of the 8th hussars which has sewn in cap lines which terminate in tassels not acorns, if these were added at a later date is a possibility but unlikely.
    I`m sure Gordon will be only too happy to supply the ancillaries like sword straps etc.:)
    54_3.jpg
    54_3.jpg Lieutenant-Hussars-Yates-11th.jpg
    Jimbo, Funky50, napoleonpeart and 3 others like this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ben, maybe the painting's wrong?

Never get too hung up on stuff like this. You end up chasing your own tail. It can be argued to the nth degree about what shudda or cudda be worn by soldiers from bygone days.

Just enjoy the figure - it looks exquisite.
    Funky50, Wings5797 and Grod like this.
  12. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Keep 'em coming Moz!!!
    Ventress likes this.