1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Mitches V-Bust Hans-Ulrich Rudel

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, May 30, 2014.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Finished this guy at last.

Attached Files:

Trex, Mike - The Kiwi, Don and 18 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely finish Gells.(y)
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Top notch stuff mate (y)
    Steve
  4. DBenz Member

Probably too late data wise here though it might assist others when they paint this lovely figure, but I have just bought this figure and for the record, he wears what is a net top flying helmet . The net is a medium golden brown colour through which one would see the hair colour. Flying branch yellow by the way for shoulder rank boards was a golden yellow. A dry brushing of the net should achieve the desired effect. Top strap on helmet to retain the oxygen mask nose strap was a reddish brown coloured material strap, again see photos.

I like the rendition of leather ear pieces, superb...what method did you use ?

Some pics here http://www.luftwaffeairfieldre-enactmentgroup.org.uk/Uniforms___Equipment/FlyingEqpt/flyingeqpt.html

also google images and search for net top flying helmet or Luftwaffe LKp N-101

DBenz
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi DBenz,

I've seen quite a few pics of the headgear on the web. There are some with a dark mesh and if the hair is dark it would be difficult to distinguish the difference between the two.
    The net was base coated with black mixed with Russian green, washed with black and then some subtle drybrushing. I find heavy drybrushing ruins the surface effect so I went real easy on the net.
    There are some green canvas straps for the goggles and I wanted to paint the top strap green to add just a wee bit of colour. I'm sure I saw headgear with green but as usual I can't find it, maybe it was a re-enactors cap.
    I'm never one for spending a huge amount of time doing painstaking 110 per cent accurate research, I'll leave that to the guys who never paint stuff. I've never been scared off by others opinion to paint a smallish detail the way I personally think feels right.
    However, I'll change the yellow on the shoulder boards.....just for you;)

Glad you like the ear pieces, they were done by base coating with German Camo beige, washed with darker browns and reds then I think it was burnt umber and Vandyke brown oil paint.
    I used this picture as a reference to try and replicate the leather.
    The other is a pic I used for reference to try and replicate the orange brown of the lenses in the goggles. The top strap is darker in this pic and not the reddish brown shown in some variants.

Cheers,

Gells

Attached Files:

housecarl, Helm and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate
    Man these are really cracking you really have brought them to life
    Cheers chris
  7. lopee Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Hi Grant, this is really amazing. Your work, painting, accentuates how the bust is sculpted. Hope you'll paint also the others, not only Germans.

Martin
  8. swralph A Fixture

Very nice work all round
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well done Gells! .. lovely work and tones! and set off nicely with the base! .. very eye catching! (y)

Regards,

Mark
  10. DBenz Member

Hi Gells,
    Thanks for the feedback and images. I hope the data helps all those painting this and an instant reference now in your images. I would like to see the figure images with the golden yellow added as I wish to add this to my gallery of Luft figures painted really well. I am now wondering what colour hair did Rudel have for when I paint mine. Each unto their own, I will personally go for a more brown mesh.

I shall follow your leather method now as that is superb. The rendition of the private purchase jacket and collar colour is also very well done.

I would also like to know how you did the lenses as that is the best I have seen of a tricky to do subject.

Are you using acrylics as the blending of shades is befitting oils, I often find acrylic users cant blend to match how reality is but your work surpasses the giveaway signs of acrylics.

For those folk by the way using the second image for any figures with masks, note...the oxy mask in the pic has a replica strap as I have never seen that colouring ever, also the metal fasteners appear with corrosion not befitting the mint condition strap and oxy hose, which ends with a rusty springed clip. One has to tread carefully with images, and not just run with the first. A very useful site by the way is Wehrmacht Awards, it is the number one reference site and also has a special Luftwaffe thread.

Its a great sculpt, I would like to see next a typical generic Leutnant with peaked cap and tunic looking skywards :)

DBenz
  11. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    (y)(y)(y)(y) THIS ONE IS THE BEST!!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

A very brave choice going with the white leather jacket. I may even try it,.......well maybe after some practice.
  12. Mark S Guest

Beautifully done!!!
  13. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi DBenz,

The goggles were done with a very dark grey base then a mix of Tamiya clear orange and Tamiya smoke.

The flesh is done with Windsor and Newton oils over acrylics.
    The rest is all done with Vallejo acrylics except the goggles as described above.

Thanks to everyone who commented, much appreciated.(y)

Gells
  14. offo A Fixture

And now I do. It's awesome. Thank my job painting this master. It gives another dimension to my works. A painting of this guy brings things to life.
    My esteem and respect.
    Palo(y)
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is some awesome paintwork.

Marc
  16. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great Gells

This is turning into a great range for Mitch and your paintwork really brings them to life.

Cheers

Neil
  17. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Like specially the eyes and the base. very n ice.
  18. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Nice one(y).
    Pete
  19. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Really like this one Gells,..Excellent painting in every way...Keep up the good work.........Wayne