1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Mitches Larry Ansell update

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Done a wee bit more on this bust.

Highlighted the green camo with yellow olive, shadowed with bronze green
    Highlighted the browns with german camo beige, shadowed with german camo black/brown
    The webbing is just base painted at the moment with green grey.

Painted the scrim on his helmet and drybrushed the netting.

I've filtered more colours into his face as he looked a wee bit single coloured so I tried for more contrasts. Still a wee bit to do yet but he's getting there.

I'll tone the webbing then run some umber oil wash over the figure to try and bring it altogether.

I will also pin wash the seams, pockets and straps to try and give some depth then go over again with some highlights.

See what you think.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This picture shows the Denison pattern which was achieved using a specially cut homemade paintbrush which I think looks a fair bit like the Denison pattern.

[IMG]
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The smock looks excellent Grant.(y)
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Grant....Excellent idea on the custom paintbrush and great effect. Can you show us a pic of the brush or is it patent pending.

Colin
    Gellso likes this.
  4. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Grant, The pattern on the denison smock is one the best I have seen painted, great work. You definitely made that special brush work for you. Excellent progress, and thanks for sharing your color mixes. Following. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
    Gellso likes this.
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Brilliant painting, Grant. The whole bust is superb, but I love that Denison smock. Best rendition I've seen of it.
    I'd also be curious to see a pic of the custom paintbrush you used. Nice work!
    Gellso and Funky50 like this.
  6. Funky50 Guest

Me too Grant.....Kevin
  7. swralph A Fixture

Coming along nicely,I would also like to see the brush(y)
    Gellso likes this.
  8. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Grant I am loving the pattern and it is a cracking job. My two ha'porth I think the base coat is too light and reminds me of the 1959 smock worn up to the mid '80s.
    [IMG]

images (2).jpg

WW2

The WW2 smock had a more yellowish/ochre base. I was researching this for my paint on Mitches other Para bust ( swopped the PIAT for a vickers) and yes there were several manufacturers and they faded at different rates etc . Bottom line is as long as you are happy with the result that is all that matters. Look forward to the finished bust great job as usual.

Here's my finished and in progress shot.

PIAT Mod Arnhem 44.jpg Arnhem 44 start.jpg
    Gellso, Grod and montythefirst like this.
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    looks good Jimmy,

I'll run some oil washes over the smock which will tone down the brightness. Some examples below.

For the guys who wanted to see the brush here it is with instructions.

If you load the brush with undiluted paint it'll give you a nice thick consistency.
    Then get a piece of paper and just experiment with the brush.
    You get some good swirls and because the bristles are uneven it gives you the streaks.
    I find if you use strokes buy dragging the bristles side on instead of using it the way you would piant a large flat surface you get better results.
    You can use different size brushes for different scales.
    The Officer para below is 120mm and you can see the pattern in it also.
    As I said, experiment, twist the brush around and stuff.
    It works better on the flat surface of a figure so choose these bits to apply the swirls.
    If you go over creases it doesn't look that great.

If you need any more info please just ask.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    NickM, offo and Grod like this.
  10. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Grant, Maybe this might help with toning your pattern. Regards, SG _1_ Denison Smock.jpg
    Gellso likes this.