1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Mitches iroqouis Scout 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    After seeing Eludias brilliant painting of this figure it has inspired me to start mine which I'm painting for Ross Mitchell. Cheers Billy

Trying for the look of the attached picture with dark warpaint which I loved the look of. Hope it doesn't look like an overdone 5oclock shadow!

The red is scale 75 Aldebaran red with some orange. I went a bit lighter as I'm going to try and use red inks to add tones and this will mute it some what...I think...
    Dark tones are blood red. I will add a deeper red once the inks have been applied and I can see if it needs it. I hope to apply highlights with Aldebaran red with more orange and work it up.

The breeches are Dubai brown with Thar brown and light mud.
    lights are that brown.
    Darks are thar brown with Dubai brown with a touch of deep blue.

I plan to use dark brown ink with deep red to attempt the indian skin tone.

Quite a nice wee figure and some great sculpting by Carl.

See what you think,

Gells

Attached Files:

marco55, anstontyke, Grod and 6 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looking good Grant, it's a sign your eyes are shot when you refer to 120mm as wee though :eek: What inks do you use ?
    Steve
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great start Grant. I've been thinking about war paint too but I don't feel brave enough to attempt it.

I hope we've broken the seal and we'll see a flood of these now, everyone seems to be owning up to having it in their GA.
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

Great start - the face will definitely be make or break fro this one so good luck.

Cheers

Huw
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Grant.
    Gordon
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Gull Member

United-States
    Well done Grant,
    Great start. Looking forward to see this develop.
    If you had the time, I for one would love to see an article from you on the use of inks. I'm used to enamels, oils and (latterly) acrylics, but inks are a dark mystery. Pretty please?
    Liam
    anstontyke and Gellso like this.
  7. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    More Wip shots

I painted the yellows and used dark brown ink mixed with the base colour. Then progressively made the mix with more and more ink until true ink was used.
    I then did the highlights and washed with yellow ink. It brought out the intensity of the yellow and helped blend tones.
    The breeches have had the same treatment but I will still try for more contrasts.
    I did the same with the blue of the groin cloth using azul blue ink then did the highlights with paint.
    The flesh has been done in part because Im really taking my time so I dont go too heavy with the inks but I can see differences in small areas of different tones.
    The reds are to be next.

See what you think,

Gells

Attached Files:

marco55, arj, Edorta and 3 others like this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    He's coming along great Grant (y)

Those yellows are really nice, what inks are you using? I also like all your beadwork but especially on the knee straps, they add some visual interest to what is essentially quite a large plain area of the figure. The bag strap also stands out for me :)
    Gellso and anstontyke like this.
  9. Huw63 A Fixture

That's looking really marvellous. The beadwork is incredible.

Cheers

Huw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gellso likes this.
  10. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Billy, thanks,
    Its Vallejo game inks I'm using. Quite liking them.

Hi Huw, thanks for commenting.

Gells
    Helm likes this.