1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Miniature Mentor New Releases

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by miniaturementor, Sep 1, 2017.

1. miniaturementor New Member

Hi Everyone, we haven't posted here in a while - below are some of our newly released video painting tutorials:

[IMG]

Stipple Glazing, Stipple Glazing, Stipple Glazing!!! The brand new technique that will transform the way you paint! This video is the first part of a 2-part masterclass series by master painter Kirill Kanaev.

Kirill (cmon: Yellowone) is considered the world's top miniature painter. Learn his incredible technique called "Stipple Glazing" to achieve the best blending you've ever had! Kirill walks you through the process of recreating the amazing face and skin.

[IMG]

Part 2 of the Shield Maiden tutorial series by master painter Kirill Kanaev.

Watch Kirill recreate the amazing textures on his Shield Maiden miniature. Kirill paints the axe, both sides of the shield and the clothing. Learn how to make realistic metal, aged wood, suede and leather. Over 4 hours!

[IMG]

Basing Volume 5 - learn advanced basing techniques with master painter Fabrizio Russo (cmon: Rusto).

Fabrizio recreates 4 of his amazing bases from some of his most famous pieces including the full reconstruction (sculpting and painting) of the "Smashed Alien Face". Learn how to make incredible scenery to help your miniatures stand out!

So head over to our site and start learning how to be a better painter!

http://www.miniaturementor.com/painting_tutorials.html
    Babelfish, Oda and kevininpdx like this.
  2. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anyone here know what stipple glazing is?
  3. hypertex Active Member

United-States
    It's probably a new name given to an old technique used by painters for centuries.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    It's when you add an extra sheet of glass to stubble glazing;)
    Do a Google search for ......Stipple Glazing Kiril Kanaev.......and youll get a few sites illustrating and explaining his technique.

Hmmmmm,,,,,plenty illustrations but few explanations as it turns out.
    Go to Massive Voodoo tutorials section on painting and look at Roman Lappats explanation of his approach to glazing and think how this would work usin a stippling action.
    Cheers
    Derek
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have other miniature mentor videos and they're superb. I bought this thinking it would be stupendous...... However as Del states few explanations and when there is talking the sound quality is extremely poor. It was a long four hours trying to watch this tbh and I personally found it very difficult to learn anything from it.

Compared to the other miniature mentor videos I bought I feel for me this isn't near as polished, informative or professional and is quite disjointed in places. I felt quite disappointed with it as I really wanted to learn something from it.

These are my personal views but would welcome a discussion from anyone else who bought it.

Gells
    Oda and Gary D like this.
  6. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    lol at 'brand new technique' of stipple glazing ! Sorry but I don't see what is new in this technique ???

glazing = layering a transparent paint over previous layers
    stippling = using the tip of your brush in a random way to layer dots of paint

stipple glazing as you call it is a combination of the two and is actually much easier to achieve than pure glazing technique since you don't have to take care of the transitions
    Babelfish, winfield, Oda and 3 others like this.
  7. aurora24 New Member

United-States
    Hi,
    Rosalba Carrera the Italien artist credited with using these techniques for the first time,presumably discovered when stipling the paint onto her portraits,that building up her colours in a key of tiny dots,they adhered to the ivory surface more easily(pages 410 ev Pauline Denyer Baker painting miniatures.) (watercolour,oil etc.)Using almost dry pale colours, Hatching or stippling,smoothing then glazings with sienna. The results are stunning !
    Temara, Morocco . Mario
    winfield and Oda like this.
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I'll stick to my oils.
    Babelfish and OldTaff like this.
  9. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    best figure painter in the world? never heard of him?,he is no bad though./badger
    billyturnip likes this.
  10. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Tried to purchase a download and couldn't. ( No problem with PP) Tried emailing feedback and it bounced.
    Temporary glitch or has MM bit the dust?
    Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 22.25.26.png
  11. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Rather stick to my Patreon subscription. More content for less money. Have learned heaps there, together with You tube video's!

Cheers,
    Gino