1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Miniart Samurai

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by valiant, Oct 28, 2021.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi folks,

Pretty much done on this, bar the nameplate. Not the best kit out there, but with a bit of work, its shaped up well enough!

Thanks for looking(y) 248689242_1647941072203607_7613819688173235149_n.jpg 249376578_1647941148870266_145992463980655645_n.jpg 248435010_1647940705536977_1360526589394995534_n.jpg
    Perseas, Tom W., Oda and 10 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

That certainly is a riot of colour , really vibrant , like you say it might not be the best kit out but it's turned out well

Good on you for working with the base kit and getting this eye catching result

Just goes to prove we don't have to spend a lot to enjoy the modelling

Here's the SBS link https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/miniart-samurai.380321/

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Oda, Babelfish and valiant like this.
  3. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork

Mobo
    valiant likes this.
  4. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The model is flawed, but the paintwork is good (y)
    Oda, Babelfish and valiant like this.
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I know that the kit isnt perfect, the fit is not the best, but it looks close enough to a samurai for my needs!! Once it's done the show circuit, Ill sell it on!!(y)
    Oda and Nap like this.
  6. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant job, very well done. I'm in awe.
    valiant likes this.
  7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Beautiful work Steve - and the groundwork compliments it so well.
    Goes to show what can be done with an OOB kit!
    KTF,
    Chris.
    valiant and Nap like this.
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

Very nicely done Steve. Lovely vibrant paintwork and super detailing. Good to see it finished despite the issues you’ve had around the quality of the kit and goes to show with a bit of perseverance what can be produced.

Neal
    valiant and Nap like this.
  9. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely done Steve.

I had this one for a while, but couldn't get to grips with it, so sold it on.
    Needless to say, the person who bought it also made a nice job of it.

Both yours and his prove that you can make a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear'.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Chris Oldfield, valiant and Nap like this.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely done Steve. To date I've made two attempts at Samurais (not this one), but both have got the better of me and I've failed to get one across the finish line. Have a couple more in the stash so one of these days maybe .....

- Steve
    Oda and valiant like this.
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments, chaps! I actually enjoy trying to get the best from ropey kits, its what makes things interesting for me. I appreciate that there are those who want something with a minimum of prep, so that they can crack on with the painting, but the whole process is the fun bit, as far as Im concerned and, once completed, thats it! I quickly lose interest and want to move on to the next one!!(y)
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  12. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    valiant likes this.
  13. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :) NONE OF THIS DETRACTS FROM STEVE'S WORK: SILK PURSE DULY ACHIEVED (y)

But... I've noticed illustration vs kit variations before with MiniArt. Here the artwork shows a more authentic sword suspension system than the actual kit (and do my eyes deceive me, but is that a straight scabbard for a curved sword?)... and a fairly good painting guide.

16028 SAMURAI – Miniart (miniart-models.com)
    (there's a link to the instructions and exploded view of the kit on this page: something MA are good at)

Sam.JPG sam2.JPG

All very strange and no logical reason o_O

Despite my misgivings, I've just had a look online to see if I could get one: prices seem OK until you factor in postage, so it's a 'no' from me (unless I can find a cheaper source) :grumpy:
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes Neil - the instructions bear no relation to the kit or the painting instructions!! Both the scabbard and the sword are straight - I curved them and lost about 20mm off the length of the scabbard! The sash around that waist was resculpted, as was the face. Some lacing detail was cast and replace due to lack of it being there... as was the lack of arm guard on the right arm. I was going to add it, but didnt in the end. Lots of work on the basic kit, but enjoyable, nonetheless!!(y)
    NeilW and Nap like this.
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    With a bit of work this kit turned out nicely, nicely done.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Nap and valiant like this.
  16. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    A great finish on what was a tough build by the sounds of it...
    Nap and valiant like this.
  17. Oda A Fixture

A flawed kit as others said,full of inaccuracies and mistakes as far as the armour goes but a splendid paintjob nonetheless.Well done indeed.

Oda.
    NeilW, valiant and Nap like this.