1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Miniart Samurai

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Oct 18, 2021.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi folks,

Some progress pics on my Miniart samurai. I know this kit has its drawbacks and I really dont know how accurate it is, but it looks right to me! Still loads to do, matting bits down, painting the knots and lacing and still some detail painting to complete...

Thanks for looking(y)

246059299_1641326422865072_5519422050465137363_n.jpg 245989705_1641326239531757_1876696922190109439_n.jpg 245963684_1641326302865084_109500911188429983_n.jpg
    Jed, NeilW, Viking Bob and 10 others like this.
  2. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice work. Ive always balked at this one as its seen some bad press with fit etc.. Be good to see how you finish him..
    valiant and Oda like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

Regardless of what this kit is or isn't,your work on it is really good.

Oda.
    valiant likes this.
  4. Cannonball A Fixture

Great job so far Steve. Like the patterns and free hand work.

Neal
    Oda and valiant like this.
  5. misfit151 A Fixture

Looking really good Steve.....(y). Mike
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Fair play to you , certainly coming on and very colourful ........good modelling from you sorting out the issues with the kit

Nice patterning and colour choices

Look forward to more updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    valiant and Oda like this.
  7. Banjer A Fixture

England
    As I have posted several times this kit comes and goes on my bench but this super job has encouraged me to bring it out again.
    Very nicely done.

Cheers
    Bill
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the good comments, chaps! Ive done some modifications to the kit, including resculpting the face, but nothing hugely taxing to the average modeller. I picked the kit up cheap, as it had been started, so I disassembled the bits and had to deal with some of the seams which had been butchered by the previous owner! Some of the parts needed thinning down as they were very bulky and I reshaped the sword and cut a chunk off the scabbard which way way too long! As Ive said, it may not be the most accurate representation of a samurai, but for the money, you cant really beat it!!(y)
    Nap and Oda like this.
  9. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great piece of work, Steve. You have endeavoured to persevere , and it has been rewarded.

Alan
  10. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Really very nice and congratulations on managing to get it built - I've tried twice and failed.
  11. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Excellent work, Steve - I like the combinations of blues & purples in the armour.
    valiant likes this.
  12. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great looking paint work and nice job on the rescue of this kit.
    Chris Oldfield and valiant like this.
  13. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work so far (y)

This pic shows the challenges of modelling/painting Japanese armour (at any scale) :eek:
    Od7.JPG
    However, some thoughts ref the lacing (odoshi).

As the vertical laces support the row of laminae beneath it, the upper row of lacing would be the same as the upper lace above it. There were many variations on lacing but during the Age of Warring States (Sengoku Jidai: c1467-1615) plain basic colours (often dark blues) and simplified armour, often with solid lames and widely spaced lacing were popular as they were more functional.

MiniArt don't give a date, but looking at it (and yes, there are many errors), it looks like a fairly early one, perhaps the most likely lacing method for the figure may be:
    Od5.JPG

See refs below, mainly from Abselon's book on cuirasses (do) show lacings and colour variations:
    Od1.JPG Od2.JPG Od6.JPG
    Od3.JPG Od4.JPG

There are many useful web links, eg:
    5. The Odoshi — Sengoku Daimyo
    Samurai Painting Guide Part I: Clothes and Armour - KRIGET KOMMER (weebly.com)
    The Evolution of Japanese Armour -- myArmoury.com

... and if you want overkill (and can read Japanese script):
    https://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/ke05/ke05_00230/ke05_00230_0001/ke05_00230_0001.html
    https://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/ke05/ke05_00230/ke05_00230_0002/ke05_00230_0002.html

Restorers sites also give invaluable information and show the mechanics of lacing etc:
    katchushi.com
    David Thatcher – Katchushi Koubou – Japanese Samurai Armour Studio (yoroi.uk)

Otherwise, the figs swords are wrongly mounted. For much of the earlier period the main sword (tashi) would be suspended from the waist and a dagger (tanto, later a longer uikushi) thrust through the waist belt (and spare bow string holder if using a bow).
    od10c.JPG od9.JPG
    (this also shows the long no-dashi sword, as used by kikushio on Seven Samurai and the bow string holder)

In the later period, the longer (katana- a little shorter than a tashi and better for fighting on foot) and the short sword (wakizashi- the two together known as a daisho) would be diagonally thrust though the sash (obi) with the blades uppermost. This was especially a fashion when wearing 'civvies' .
    od11.JPG od10.JPG

However, throughout the period there were many ways of mounting the swords and the 'old' and new styles (tashi/katana; tanto/wakizashi) could be mixed (suspended best if on horseback) as:
    od13.JPG Od8.JPG

The shoulder guards (sode) don't look right either (the refs above give refs)

BoL
  14. Nap Moderator

England
  15. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the references, Neil - this was an itch that needed scratching, like the Roman I did a while back, but I shant be doing any more samurai. Been there, done that, now!!(y)
    Banjer and Nap like this.
  16. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ...ah, fine: thought you were still working on it :)

I've weighed up this fig several times and always decided against buying it :(
    valiant likes this.