1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

MiniArt panzer crew in peadot (WiP)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by e-junkie, Nov 11, 2010.

1. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Hi everyone; I'm currently working on a MiniArt set for a project that I have. It also involves a tank, panzer-riders and so on. The kit is a panzer crew that I'm doing in peadot camo; both drivers and commander are finished, and I'm currently doing the radio-operator. I post a few progress pic over here.

I've started with a dark brown basecoat; then have drawn main seam lines and done a few outlining to not get lost while applying the pattern. No shading/highlihting applied for now:

DSC05190.jpg DSC05191.jpg

Then I've started working on the back; after rough shading/highlighting in the base color (around dark brown) the application of the peadot itself can start. This pattern is made of colored patches (light green, dark green and something like sand-yellow) drawn on the dark brown base, and a number of dots of the same colors spread everywhere on the garment. Rather than drawing the dots at the very end I include them progressively, as part and parcel of the pattern. Then each color is shaded highlighted fo a better rendition of creases. I like keeping an eye to a real peadoted tunic while I do the job, it really helps.

Here's where I am tonight; any suggestion or advice will of course be greatly appreciated :)

DSC05207.jpg DSC05208.jpg DSC05209.jpg m44dottunicw.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to progress tomorrow as I'm on vacation...

Cheers
    e-j
    tissibzh, Andyfettes and gordy like this.
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks a fair copy of the shirt.
    Well done,
    Carl.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Florent,

Fascinating technique you're using. Can't argue with the impressive results. I look forward to seeing how these turn out and hopefully see some close ups.
  4. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Thx you all for your positive feedbacks ;) I take a little pause from painting this guy; I may say it has quite progressed this morning with the back entirely done. I'm now starting another big part, the front of the jacket.

I'll try to provide better pics tonight with closeups hopefully.

Cheers
    e-j
  5. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Update

Hi you guys; I've been working on this guy yesterday and things have quite progressed. The back is finished and I've prepared the rest of the figure for continuing the camo application (shading/highlighting of the basecoat, outlining, etc).

I've taken a couple of closeups; I think I'm satisfied with the result for now, even though the paintjob isn't certainly not the most crisp that have ever been seen...

DSC05283-crop.JPG DSC05285-crop.JPG

More update later on, any suggestion or advice, don't hesitate.

Have fun tonight
    e-j
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good

Steve(y)
  7. winston Active Member

France
    Very good and very hard to do. Bravo!!!
  8. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    What are Miniart figs like..? often thought of trying them...
  9. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Thx sirs for the encouraging feedback; still have a lot of work on this one, and hope to have good progress tomorrow.

Good night
    e-j
  10. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Hi Steeve; I like the MiniArt range mostly because of its sculpting; I don't know who is sculpting for them but to me this guy is really good. On the other hand their styrene casting is quite disastrous, with many flash and big lack of details in some areas (hands, ears, etc).

I've discovered very recently that most of the MiniArt range (at least their WWII german and soviet figures) is also available in the TAHK catalog, which means that the same fine sculpting is also available casted in resin. For example, the pz crew I'm currently doing is also casted by Tank. FYI, here's a link to the TAHK catalog:
    http://tank-model.ru/index.htm

Cheers
    e-j
  11. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Panzer officer's head (finished)

Hi all; last night I wasn't in the mood for drawing dots, so I've finished the officer's head, which comes from the same MiniArt set. The ears may look a bit odd; actually I entirely "scratch-painted" them as they were absolutely free of any detail (styrene cating...). Now I still have to fit this head to its owner, and I'll be done with this guy.

I've taken some pics; hope you like them:

Officer1.JPG Officer2.JPG Officer3.JPG
    Officer4.JPG Officer5.JPG

Cheers
    e-j
    pmfs likes this.
  12. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I love your pea dot, exellent!

face could use a little teint of red / purple perhaps on the right places.

René
  13. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Thx René; you're right, this face lacks a bit of red; I'm thinking of improving this.
  14. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Some progress...

Hello Planeteers; quite some progress on my panzer crew project tonight; I've continued the radio'er. Far from beeing done! Hope to have good progress this WE.

DSC05344-crop.JPG DSC05348-crop.JPG DSC05351-crop.JPG DSC05361-crop.JPG

BTW I've fitted the pz officer's head to its owner; I've to rework the face a little bit and especially have to draw the pink piping on the cap and shoulder straps. For the rest it seems to me that's not too bad; you guys will tell me...

DSC05312-crop.JPG DSC05313-crop.JPG

Have fun tonight
    e-j
  15. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The camo is outstanding.
    Carl.
  16. Andyfettes Active Member

United-States
    Great pea dot !

Thats dedication for you to get that pattern right down like that

Well done mate :)
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi!

You do magic with this injection plastic figure.(y)
  18. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Hi you guys; thanks a lot for your kind and encouraging posts; something unexpected happened and, that's sad to say but this little guy is wrecked... He is currently in a bath of acrylic thinner and I'm gonna restart the paintjob from 0 tonight.

So what happened there; basically everything went smoothly until I started to work on the front of the jacket, and especially the lower part to which access is quite hampered by the position of the arms. I had to repaint some areas several times as I wasn't never satisfied with the result, and this ovellapping of paint coats produced a very thick and untidy result at the end of the day (you can check on the attached pics). So rather than consuming time to finish a bad work, I decided to remove all paint and restart from scratch. Quite harsh but whatever...

I'll keep you updated later on; until then have fun.

Cheers
    e-j

DSC05383-crop.JPG DSC05382-crop-detail.JPG DSC05383-crop-detail.JPG
  19. e-junkie Member

United-States
    Hi mates; I've changed my project a little bit; after removing the pain from the fig it was in such bad state that I decided to not waste anymore time trying to paint it correctly. Anyway the casting is absolutely dreadful on this set and doesn't deserves such time consumption. So I gave up and got a set of good figures from Nemrod (their panzer crew set). There are 4 figs there; a driver bust, a commander bust and 2 entire figs, one sitting on the hull with the leg pending in the radio-op's hatch an the arm resting on the turret, and one emerging from a hatch in the turret. I'm currently painting the guy sitting in the radioer's hatch

I must say painting on this figs is very pleasant. Here's the progress after 2 nights of work; tommorrow I'll try to finish the whole jacket:

Radioer1.jpg Radioer2.jpg Radioer3.jpg Detail.JPG

Cheers
    e-j
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Good decision and nice progress!

Cheers,
    Adrian