1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Mine had a ramrod"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Apr 22, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Apart from sculpting I enjoy this part the most.~Gary
  2. PeteC Member

Nice work! You also make the process easy to understand. I may have missed it, but how do you get the sculpey so smooth after you've finished sculpting in the folds?
    Pete
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

Great job on the sbs. Looking forward to see how you do the smaller folds and the clean up!
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pete, Thanks. I use very fine steel wool on the sculpey to smooth it out. Just be careful as to how much pressure you put on the piece as too much force or rubbing in one area for too long can obliterate the detail. You can use Scotchbrite also but it's better suited for using on 2 part putty's harder surface as it's not as gentle on the sculpey.

Anders, Thanks I'll cover the entire process, start to finish.~Gary
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

Great job! Man you have the knack! I look forward to seeing more of the pictures.

Joe
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the hat so far. I'm almost done with the hat cords except for the ends of the cords with the acorn ornaments. I drilled holes in the crown for the vent holes which I then inserted a small piece of putty into. I then took a pointed tool and inserted it into the center of the hole. The the putty forced out then resembles a gromet that made up the ventialation hole(s).
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The shirt sleeve has been completed and all that is needed is to apply some Corporal stripes. I apply some sculpey diluent to the sleeve surface and the push a piece of Sculpey on top of this. I then trim it up to roughly get the size I need in addition to spreading the Sulpey over the arm a bit more to get more of a scale thickness.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the result after trimming the stripes down about 4-5 times. I will not be detailing out the individual stripes and their borders but will paint these on at a later time. After baking the stripes will be fine sanded to achieve more of a scale thickness.

The boots and leggings will be next.
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome the way you do that Gary.........love your sbs's
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is one boot for the soldier with the sole scribbed/filed in. The body has been worked in with additional pieces of sculpey. Once I'm satisfied with the overall shape I'll then go in and do the detail work.
  11. y_wong New Member

hey Gary, great job. Thanks for sharing.

regards :)
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Gary,my man, (y) (y) job so far !! Thanks for sharing your techniques.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wong & Kenneth, thank you. I hope to make some serious progress on this figure in the coming week, then the project will be half done.~Gary
  14. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Gary, I've watched the progression of this pair for a while now and I have to say the anatomy and drapery are both excellent and an inspiration to us all.

I'm particularly enjoying seeing the steps in Sculpey, it's great to know it can be applied successfully to baked parts even in thin sections like the stripes. A quick question if you don't mind, have you ever tried using diluent to smooth before baking like a lot of the garage-kit sculptors do?

Einion
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Einion & Amuro, Thank you for the kind words. I do not use the diluent for smoothing my sculptures mainly due to the small size and given that if you get a lot of diluent on a small area it could posssibly be distructive to the figure turning the area very soft and somewhat on the "mushy" side. Sculpey diluent is mostly used to re-activate sculpey that is on the dry side. I mostly use very fine steel wool and scotchbrite for smoothing.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Amuro, I do not use green putty for my figures.~Gary
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the left boot near completion. After baking the figure the leather legging/gaiter will be sculpted.
  18. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

This is looking really nice. Thanks for the pictures. :)

Joe
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the basic shape of the leather legging/gaiter. The details will be worked on ater I'm satified with the shap and all the seams have been worked in. The progress inches forward.
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    profile view