1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Mine had a ramrod"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Apr 22, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    kenneth & Wong, Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. The trousers would have been a bit difficult to do in putty.~Gary
  2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Gary,

I'm sure you have answered this before, but after sculpting one section, do you bake it then go to the next?
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Yes. I'm doing more than usual in sculpting the trousers as one section instead of one leg at a time.~Gary
  4. Fulix New Member

Brazil
    Hi Gary,

Your figure is getting realy good... it´s amazing!

What about the Wiking tanker?!?!? :angry: Can´t wait to see the progress on that one... hehehe.

Cheers
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paulo, Thank you. Sadly the tanker figure project has been put on hold as I was not happy with the results I was getting. I will get back to him sometime, I'm just not sure when.~Gary
  6. Kamil Feliks Sztarbala New Member

Poland
    Gary, great work. I can't find good words to say how great ;)
    ~kamil
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    hey Gary, he is looking really good.

My friend, you are an excellent sculpter ;)

Cheers.

Roc. :)
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roc, Thank you for the kind words my friend.~Gary
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A little more progress has been made on the figure's breeches. I'm almost ready to bake them. The past few days have been spent putting in seeam lines and belt loops in addition to the reinforced inner legs of the breeches. A web belt will go around his waist and I added the belt loops for the regular waistbelt in the event some of it/them show. The right upper thigh/crotch area folds look a bit odd as a small strap will run around the leg and be attached to the bottom part of a .45 pistol holster. The boots and leather leggings are next.
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A few more pics of the breeches.
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Side view.

The tool marks will be taken away with some Scotch Brite and fine steel wool. I might also add a few small creases/ folds with some files.
  13. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Gary. So clean and smooth.
  14. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Gary,AWESOME WORK,my friend (y) (y) (y) !!! Looking forward to the next step in the project.BTW,any further updates on the old guy ? Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  15. LCoote New Member

Australia
    YEH!!!!! that's looking good Gary, excellent drapery mate.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thanks. I still need to clean it up as there are a lot of subtle marks left behind by the tools. This can be cleaned up with the tools but consumes a lot of time to do it. The Scotchbrite and fine steel wool is a huge time saver and also yields better results.

Kenneth, Thank you. I am going to do the second figure after this one is complete as working on both figures at the same time was not working out. I may even alter or redo the old guy's armature, although I have not decided yet.~Gary
  17. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

He is looking really good, I am especially impressed with the riding breeches. They really look good and the folds are great. One thing that don't look right to me though is the fellas shoulders, it really looks like he dont have any and that the head is too big for the torso. Maybe this will chage once the arms are made.

Keep up the great work!
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, Thanks. You're right, he does not have any shoulders, those will be added with the arms. The guy is thin and is still within the proportions on my scale chart I'm using. It is hard to tell sometimes and the fact that a lot of the pics are taken at an angle can often throw off the proportions some.~Gary
  19. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking FANTASTIC Gary! Like Leigh said, excellent drapery!
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    M1911 Service Hat Before going on to the legings and boots I thought I'd do the hat first. The hat will be constructed using techniques in Mike Blank's great new book. I started by giving the top of the figure's head a thin layer of vaseline. I then mixed up some Magicsculpt and pushed a "blob" of it onto his head, starting at the top and working down along the sides of his head. As this was done I had to trim it up here and there as I wanted the crown to rest a bit above his eyebrows, I also wanted to lessen the thickness of the crown as you want the hat as much in scale as possible.