1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Mine had a ramrod"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Apr 22, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Thanks. It's most likely going to end up as a one off as 120's do not seem to be as popular as they once were.~Gary
  2. Automata Member

United-States
    Great work Gary. Very inspirational!

Barry
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Barry, Thanks. I'm going to try and get some new pics of everything I'm working on by the weekend, I guess I have either not felt like working on much lately or the work sessions are yielding very little progress.~Gary
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wow Gary! I must have missed this last post by you. Excellent job on the head!
  5. Patrick Kirk New Member

Great expression in his face Gary...very nicely done...can't wait to see more...
    Hope all is well

Patrick
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the young soldier's 1904 pattern shirt minus the buttons which will be placed where the indentations are.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Work has begun on the 1912 pattern trousers. It's a bit tricky getting the look just right. He'll be topped off with a Model 1911 service hat.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are three views of the figure. I found that some areas of the sculpey were starting to dry out on me so I'm going to do the rest of the second figure after the sculpey portion of this one is done.
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  11. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Gary, it is coming along superbly. Those pants are called jodhpurs, aren't they?
    I love this period also.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, Thanks a lot. According to the regulations they are called "service breeches".~Gary
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary!
  14. LCoote New Member

Australia
    It's really looking good Gary, do you know when the picture was taken, just before WWI maybe ?
  15. Patrick Kirk New Member

Gary,
    Your work just amazes me... ;)
    Can't wait to see this come to life...
    All the best my friend

Patrick
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason and Patrick thanks a lot.

Leigh, Thanks. The US military conducted a number of manoeuvers and reenactments on the actual ground these soldiers fought on during the Civil War. This photo may have been taken at one of these events or at one of the numerous reunion activities sponsored by veterans groups. There is no date or location given for the photo so I can only guess. There would have been two more shirt patterns after the 1904 that would have been worn by WW1 soldiers, the 1912, and 1916. If the front of the soldier had been shown it would be easier to narrow the timeframe. Anyway I went with an earlier shirt pattern as I do not want my veteran so old he would not be able to hold the rifle by himself like in the photo.~Gary
  17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

Sorry for being so late on this but all I can say is You Are the man! I look forward to seeing more of these guys as well as your others. By the way, how are the 54's going? ;) :)

Joe
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Thanks, I do appreciate it. I'm Working on two cap boxes for the 54's now. I have to do a couple bayonets/scabbards in addition to the M1842 musket to finish both pieces.~Gary
  19. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    EXCELLENT WORK,Gary (y) (y) (y) ! You've managed to capture the look of the period trousers perfectly.Looking forward to the next step in the project.Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  20. y_wong New Member

Dear Gary,

Great work on the figure. I will definitely be following this thread.

regards :lol: