"Mine had a ramrod"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Apr 22, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    When I was 14 a local figure painter sculpted a vignette of a Union veteran an a pre/post WW1 soldier which was based on a photo. I always remembered the piece and photo, hoping one day to do my own version. I borrowed some materials from a friend a while back (long while back) intending on sculpting the figure and felt ready to begin sculpting the piece. I found an armature that I had done and it fit the needs for the young soldier leaving the veteran needing to be done. To insure the armature would work I roughed in a good portion of it to make sure. Here is the original photo and the sculpey "sketch". I'm now carving down the armature in a few places and will begin the filling the figure out. As there is very little in the way of equipment I'll be able to put a bulk of the time into the anatomy and clothing effects of both figures.~Gary
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The following photos are of the sculpey "sketch" I did. I'll now go in and make the Veteran's armature so I can sort out the composition.
  3. jitch0t Member

Spain
    nice start Gary, keep us posted, please :)
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The soldier will be holding the Veteran's cane along with his jacket which will be drapped over his arm.
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The soldier will also have a holstered .45 , web belt and ammunition pouch. I have not settled on the gaiters being canvas or leather.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    one for the road.
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great Gary............love the reference pic.......and know your figs will be great
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Looking good,please keep us posted.

Roc. (y)
  9. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Very nice Gary, are you going to have the height difference between the figures as in the photo ?
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks for the kind words. This is a piece I've wanted to do for a long time.

Leigh, Yes, there will be a very noticable difference in height. The simplicity of the piece will allow me to really concentrate on the "human" side of the piece. I really want to depict a moment between the aged veteran and a young soldier of the modern age.~Gary
  11. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Very NICE,Gary (y) (y) ;the human aspect of the photograph really makes this a good choice for a figure vignette.Looking forward to the progress of the project ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  12. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Hey Gary,

Man are you getting quite busy! I am looking forward to seeing this one. Now all we need to see is a little paint. ;)

Great work my friend.

Joe
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking AWESOME Gary! That scene was probably played several times during all those Gettysburg reunions. Holding that rifle, was in no doubt, filling that old man with fond and not so fond memories.
  14. y_wong New Member

Hey Gary,

A very interesting project. Looking forward to the rest of your work. Just a question, do you do a lot of craving after the resin hardened.

regards :lol:
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wong, Thank you. This piece will be mostly Sculpey. When I do use just putty I do carve folds here and there on the clothing. Magic Sculpt carves more easily than A&B putty in my opinion.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Now that I've gotten my batteries recharged by the MFCA I show I began roughing in the face on the younger of the two figures. Once the old guys armature is roughed in I'll post pictures of it. Now it's time to get back to the smaller projects, not much left on them.~Gary
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've done a bit more work on the face. The face is done for the most part with the eyes and ears needing to be done.~Gary
  18. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Gary, thats a great looking face mate, I think I need a recharge to get me going :)
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great Gary...............keep on goin!!!!
  20. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Gary, (y) (y) on the face so far !! Keep up the good work.
    Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol: