1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Milliput

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Braemp, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Braemp Active Member

Is there a trick to speed up the drying time of milliput? Can I put it in low temp in the owen like I usually do with Magic sculp?

Regards Lars

Sent by tapatac
  2. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Put it under a desk lamp fitted with a 60watt incandescent bulb for about 10 minutes, have the bulb about 5-6 inches above the work and do not leave under too long or it will scorch, too close to the putty and it will melt slightly and dis form your work.
    I have a block of wood on which I place a ceramic tile, my work is placed onto the tile and a lamp placed above, I use an egg timer to remind me to switch off lamp so I dont get distracted and burn the work.
    Dont try this with Duro(greenstuff) though, it melts and bubbles into a mess.

Steve
    Pilgrim_uk and housecarl like this.
  3. Braemp Active Member

Thank's I'll try that.

Best regards Lars

Sent by tapatac
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    And you can actually mix Milliput with Magic Sculpt.

Janne Nilsson
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A desk lamp works really well.
  6. YellaMoon Member

United-States
  7. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    You can put it in a low temperature toaster oven or using a heat gun.
    zane666 likes this.
  8. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another thing, if you mix too much, you can put it in the freezer for a few hours.

Martin
    Gra30 likes this.
  9. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

I couldn't sculpt without a light. It's not the sculpting but I have 2-3 54mm figs balanced on the light all the tine. I spend 10 hours a day and if not for the quick drying of the light I would be up a creek.
    Milliput is good if you want to sand, just be aware of air pockets underneath if speed drying as it may bubble, easily repaired though.
    Martins tip of freezer is spot on, Pete Morton told me that also
  10. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    One other thing, if you use it for the length of time we use, keep washing your hands. The oils from your skin can build on the surface, then when you try to dry the next layer the oils will expand and weaken the join. That's one of the reasons a vulcanised figure tends to break up.
    If you want a really strong joint on something, push some fresh mixed miliput into a superglued joint.

Martin