1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Mil-mart Flat Wwii German Trench Section Stalingrad

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Carlos69, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Gents,

Please see my new works for our buddy Ken Farrar of Mil-Mart Miniatures.

This is a first for me painting a flat ! its around A5 size and cast in resin, and inspired by quite a famous painting depicting a last stand type scenario set in Stalingrad I beleave, but still not sure of the artist as yet ?

Kens captured the feel and look of the piece really well, and hope some thing similar will be done in the future ?!

Painted in oils over enamel and acrylic.

Nothing finnished on it yet, just working up the detail painting with lots still to do on the flesh, background and detail etc ...

Comments welcome :)

Thanks

Carlos

Tommi bust final highlights 001.png
    Tommi, mao, Edorta and 3 others like this.
  2. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    The scene looks to be set at night, with a strong light source coming from the left of the painting ... maybe a flare or explosion or maybe even a strong moonlight ...

Trying to post an image of the painting that Ken took his inspiration from, but it wont let me post it !

Will try another other image later ..

Thanks for looking

Carlos
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think this will be rather nice Carlos.

Ron
    Carlos69 likes this.
  4. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Tommi bust final highlights 008.png

A little more work done ...

And another image of a similar painting, Ken if you see this how about it ?!! ;)

Original painting.png

Carlos

Mike Stevens, mao and Sturm Grenadier like this.
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This is looking great Carlos! I like the format and look forward to seeing more, but what does A5 equate to ? Ken is on to something here and I will follow with beaucoup interest.

Joe
    Carlos69 likes this.
  6. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Ken thanks ! wasnt sure how it would turn out as havnt painted anything non three dimensional in years !
  7. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Joe, Sorry A5 is a measurement used for sizing paper and canvas. It equates to around 150 mm x 210mm. I havnt measured the flat at all but it is close to this paper size. Thanks for your feadback (y)

Carlos
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's a pretty good size Carlos. I like it even better!

Joe
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice Carlos. I like the style of painting you have chosen, it's really in keeping with the subject and period.

Roger.
    Carlos69 likes this.
  10. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks Joe ! the figures in the foreground are similar in scale to 1/16th ..

Here is the artwork,try again !

380420.jpg
  11. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Thankyou Roger (y) I chose to go for a more styleised look to this like you say in keeping with the period of some other artwork of the times ... a little different to the original artwork but think it works for this. A change of pace from my normal style of painting.

Carlos
  12. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great sir. I have been playing with the idea of doing a flat. How do you like it so far?
    Carlos69 likes this.
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great! Another recruit.... go for it! (y)

Roger.
    Carlos69 and Meehan34 like this.
  14. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Mike I have allways loved flats but never got around to trying any, I havnt done any non-3D stuff for years so was strange at first but you soon get in to it ! I think you need to keep the light source in mind more for doing these ... they are great working along side your mini's, recommend em' brother !! Im hoping Ken Farrar will release some pin-up versions soooon ! Cheers buddy (y)

Carlos
  15. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Carlos69 likes this.
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate good to see this one at last, its a fantastic setting for figures and would work really well in 3-d, maybe even a box diorama, Ken has done well to transfer this to a flat. Nice work on the painting and will be following along.

All the best

Steve
    Carlos69 likes this.
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Wonderful mate, I love what you do with this stunning flat sculpted by our friend Ken.:joyful:
    I will follow closely.(y)
    Pedro.
    Carlos69 likes this.
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Carlos, that is a very cool piece. My congratulations to Ken for the flat and respect to you for what you have achieved with it so far. I have tried several times with flats but never get any sense of depth.

Cheers

Ron
    Carlos69 likes this.
  19. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Carlos, Love your many different grey tones so far. Very smooth. Painting with W&N? Looks excellent thus far. Regards, SG(y)
    Carlos69 likes this.
  20. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carlos amazing progress mate and thanks again for sending me the original picture and suggestion (y)
    Can't wait to see the finished piece hopefully at Telford..... no pressure there than mate:D

Cheers Ken