1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Mike's WW1 NZRB Lewis Gunner Bust in 1\6th

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I have not glued wire & have plenty spare Mike :)
    Starting to get hang of this coaching thing ;-)

"Wouldn't that be nice?" OK now you're getting cruel!
    I'm getting ya, Step1: separate head, easy to paint...

Oh yes Sir - I've figured that out now ;)
    Good detailed description again & get where you are coming from.
    Will pull put drill, rod & pliers tonite to,see if we can finally bring this baby home!

Talk soon

Mike
    RFL likes this.
  2. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Ok Mike Sensei ;-)

Some folk maybe getting bored with our banter & back&forth cropped photos, but for me it beats painting (Not!)

Let's see if we can close this off & give Charlie back his neck.

Steps done:
    1. New torso hole drilled forward of old one & deeper
    2. New longer aluminium rod inserted (not glued!) to join head & torso
    3. New photos added here
    4. We got "wire and air" to play with :)

Take it away Maestro...

image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    crf likes this.
  3. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Not bored at all....Actually enjoying where you are going to take the excellent SBS by Mike(Sensei).You can't beat what he is telling you.I will say it again....Paint job is excellent......Keep it goin.............Wayne
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Glad you're still there Wayne & looking forward to finally getting paint brushes wet.
    Must say I didn't see this SBS panning out this way.

Heard a great quote the other day which seems sort of appropriate when I reflect on this detour :)

"Sometimes when you follow your dreams you get lost and find another one instead."

Must away, got a Lewis Gun to start paintin' until MikeG wakes up on his side of our small world.
  5. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Well Mike, as I said in my last post: "one really easy way to go is to drill a new hole in the torso in front of the present one to align with the upper wire in the photo."

Do that, and you will not need to do much wire bending at all. All you will need to do is trim it down to a shorter length. Do this a bit at a time. You can always cut off more wire - but adding to it, not so much. Also, my two previous photoshopped pics show where the head should be, more or less.

If you do not want to drill a new hole, then you will have to bend the wire as shown in the first pic:

[IMG][IMG]

I got a little carried away with the forward movement on this new pic. The position on that last one is better and re-shown here as it shows the position a lot better. That is about it.

For the next step, once you get the head where you want it, pull out the wire and grease up the socket of his collar in the torso. I use a cotton swab and apply petroleum jelly for this (cheap stuff you can get at any drugstore). Then mix up a blob of putty and stuff it in the general area. Fill in the space between the torso and the head - but do not try to complete the neck. Leave it decidedly under filled - as long as you complete the gap between torso and head. Then set this aside to harden.

Once this is hard, you should be able to easily pull the head away from the torso. And you have a nice hefty pin to keep it in place. Now you can complete filling in the neck at your leisure. Refit it often during this process to make sure everything is going okay and that you can still easily remove and refit it. You will find that any undercuts inside the collar area of the torso will prevent removal. Once you have worked that out, then you will find the detachable head a very convenient feature.

Well, at least I do!

Cheers!!

Mike
    Mike - The Kiwi and RFL like this.
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    There's actually a lot more to guy than his neck!

So while I work on update photos after MikeG's latest note here's how the kit arrives.
    Includes A4 colour info sheet.

Have added in Tommy's War box to help provide scale
    (trust you don't mind Darren & yes will do this little guy as a Kiwi landing at Gallipoli under fire one day :)

Will provide more on Lewis gun as I start painting it up during the coming week.

Still a highly recommended & fairly priced kit.
    My advice to - do it straight outta the box ;-)

Stay safe & more soon,

Mike

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    RFL likes this.
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    A mistake is just a temporary inconvenience...
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Master, I have done as you asked... :sick:

I've tried some comparison photos of your examples with latest version including blob of putty. Am I there yet?

All done, Mike what do you use to clean the petroleum jelly off before painting?

Yes can see benefits now :cool: including the pin vise for finishing & painting.

Have also included photos from start of saga to now.

Man I am so hoping that I've got this sorted otherwise...

Quasimodo: You are good to me master. I'm sorry. :oops:
    CharlieChangeLeft.jpg
    CharlieChangesRight.jpg
    CharlieChanges.jpg
    CharliesHeadVice.JPG
  9. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Looks good Mike! Onward and upward, eh? (y):D:cool:

"All done, Mike what do you use to clean the petroleum jelly off before painting?"

I use good old rubbing alcohol. Again, cheap stuff from the drugstore. I usually use a moistened tissue and simply wipe the area two or three times (drying in between) to make sure i get all the stuff off.

Cheers!!

Mike
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    You're a legend mate!
    Let's get on with the show :)

Stay safe & thanks for the directions on this necessary but trying detour.

Mike
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Love the photo of him holding his own head in the pin vice :D:D
  12. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Yep bit of a play on earlier photo of him holding his head under his arm Tony :)

Can't be too serious after what I've been through on this project so far ;-)
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Yes Mike, I'm sure after cutting off his head you've been wondering whether to laugh or cry!
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    You got it mate!
    Fair to say not lots of smiling & working hard to get me back into the groove now.

Fortunately no figures were truly harmed so far :)

Mike
  15. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Well worth the effort Mike , looks a lot better . Rather you than me though .
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand

Hi Neil, et al.

Yes looking back on this little saga it seems like it was my natural clumsiness that made it more messy than it should have been.
    Just starting to get back on form & have blocked some colour on neck & surrounding area to give a better feel for final look.
    Still have to reinstate some of twisted jacket collar, other detail ready for final painting.

What do you, MikeG & other brave souls here think? Still good to go?
    I'm ready for it, sort of :meh:

Bit of damage to Charlie's face, which I've started repairs on.
    Helmet though has become a bit of mess due to constantly removing & re positioning head.
    May survive a full repaint but have to see how things pan out with other sections over coming days.

Not all wasted time, have made an enamel mug, remove small pack straps & will add this to one of these & have these hanging more naturally.

Also getting stuck into Lewis, again a bit of rough work but inside barrel so will be OK.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mike

P.S. More rough iPhone flash photos overexposed & lack definition but should give you feel for progress

CharlieReturns1.JPG CharlieReturns2.JPG CharlieReturns3.JPG CharlieReturns4.JPG CharlieReturns5.JPG
    Joe55 likes this.
  17. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    And for the eagle eyed & weapons buffs amongst you here's Charlie shooters.
    My ones with added & refined detail at bottom compared with untouched original kit parts.
    To give you sense of scale - Lewis Gun is ~8inches or 20cm long:happy:

Probably haven't got all detail I could right or fully, however time to move on & smell the thinners :dead:

Weapons1.jpg Weapons2.jpg Weapons3.jpg Weapons4.jpg Weapons5.jpg
    ChaosCossack, crf and Joe55 like this.
  18. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Your persistence is paying off Mike, a big slap on the back to you (y):D!

Joe
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looks very "Good" to me. Your persistence has paid off Mike, and hopefully with no calls to the "Modeller's Distress Line?"

Colin
  20. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Mike,
    I think the adjustment you made looks very good.I Think once you position the gun and paint up some of the uni and details all will be well and forgotten and all blend in perfectly.Those kind of things can make a man lose sleep but persistence shall prevail.".............Wayne