1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mike's Wings "Red In Blue" RAF Sgt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Zeno,

Thanks mate & glad RAF Blue works for you.

Planning an article on RAF Blue for David
    Here is palette http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/mikes-battle-of-britain-rnzaf-pilot.61519/#post-624239
    Same one as for my other little Wings Battle of Britain RNZAF Pilot & WAAF Ladies.

Does this help?

Mike
    tiberius57 likes this.
  2. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Grateful to each of you for taking a minute to provide your thoughts & feedback.
    Part of learning process is to receive these comments as encouragement for next project.

Agree to Nap this chap deserves to be in a diorama with pilots.
    Got another couple to,do & both are brilliant as well.

Nino has a amazing sculpting ability, managing a finesse you only appreciate as you paint these & Tommys figures.

Stay safe

Mike
  3. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I know they're 54mm but these RAF figures are very, very tempting. Takes me back to all those old Airfix kits but that's another thread.
    Some of the figures are clearly intended to interact with aircraft models but this one could just as well be leaning against the wall of a structure. There are one or two others also looking up perhaps skywards and I'm tempted to group these together maybe around the corner of one of those types of huts found on airfields. Does anyone know of such a structure commercially available in 1/32 or even 1/35 or is it a scratch build job?

Geoff
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Sorry Geoff no idea on a specific structure but you are right could easily be grouped around building or similar.
    Recommend BBC movie "First Light" for further ideas http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ttjz0
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mike! It does! Much appreciated! (y)
    Only one single question. Never worked with W&N Blending Medium. In what proportions are you using it?
    Thanks Mike for your help! :)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Shoot, that looks so much like cloth (y)!

Joe
  7. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Nice one Mike , You have really perfected those RAF blues . Nice face and hair also .
    Cheers
    Neil
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks buddy :)
    Enjoying these little guys & just started Kiwi ace he is smiling up to as get out off Spitfire.
    Good wet day for painting

Stay safe
    Mike
  9. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Joe would be intrigued to see what folk think of these in the flesh, as photos aren't as crisp as the could be.
    Cloth effect may be illusion from softer photo perhaps?
    Still do like to trying to capture each type of texture.
    Next figure has all sorts from woollen jersey & trousers to fur lined leather jacket, with glasses, metal & canvas sections.
    It's all going on :)

Stay safe
    Mike
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Zeno,

It is like thickened water.
    I use a dropper to plop a couple of large drops on my wet palette then add a drop or so of Tamiya Matt Base.

I then dip brush in this like a thinning medium before dipping into the paint.
    It takes quite some time to dry so can take a while to get used to it, but valuable tool to work, shade & matten down cloth colours.

Be wary Blending Medium should be a minimum 2:1 ratio to Matt Base as this can be create an annoying clouding effect if too much. When creating dusty clothes I actually do take advantage of this effect.

Does this make sense?
    Appreciate it is not very scientific but experimenting should deliver results.

Mike
    tiberius57 likes this.
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Much appreciated Mike! I need to experiment with the Blending Medium. Always was scared to tackle large scale figs (over 75mm) and the Blending Medium looks to be a great aid. As I can see helps at any scale. I'll try it.
    Thanks Mike!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,
    What a jovial chap and wonderful colours. I agree with all that has been said prior. Would also look good with a part of a spit on small base.
    Cheers
    John
  13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Trust it goes well for you Zeno, tell us of your learning too.

Stay safe
    Mike
    tiberius57 likes this.
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Yep he's a fun fellow alright mate.
    Thanks & agree a wedgie would look good eh!

Mike