1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Mike's Chunuk Bair Kiwis from 'The Fusilier'

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    stunning, a very moving piece of work and a great tribute to a lot of brave young men.

tony
    Oda and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  2. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Great pic of this masterpiece Mike, shame it's going/gone offshore
    anstontyke and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Grateful for kind words Keith, though Steve Warrilow deserves credit for composition.
    He managed a tight grouping at various levels which worked well to convey the desperation of this action.
    I have another set which I plan to do in a smaller vignette of three one day, with different tone of rest & vigilance.
    Ta! Joe, cool to see you picking out these details which aren't really evident without these larger shots.
    Unfortunately some details I included aren't visible in any of my photos so will be a surprise for my collector.
    Including small roots sticking out of bank below sandbags, something I often saw on the Cove when I visited.
    Thanks to you both Nap & Ken. I do hope it meets with his expectations.
    He normally collects Toy Soldiers such as First Guards & Kings Country which are amazing pieces.
    Also so much more affordable than these individually, custom painted pieces we do.
    Pete & Tony, this is the most important motivation of all & pleased this comes across.
    Steve provided a striking canvas to represent this scene.
    Was a special challenge to paint.
    Appreciated Les mate!
    Yep gotta admit it was a tough giving these guys up, but they were never truly mine.
    Honoured to get the commission & I know he will really value them.
    Will do my own interpretation one day using some of these figures as a base for telling another story from this era.
    Wings5797, Bootneck, Joe55 and 2 others like this.
  4. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    10428071_811824528940054_6180009863417247897_n.jpg

I found this on our Regimental museum page and thought of this wee vignette. Excellent work Mike.
    Scotty.
  5. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Scotty
    Argylls & ANZACs must have bumped into each other throughout WW1 with these Battle Honours.
    Recall Scots & ANZACs were involved in Etaples Mutiny/Riot in 1917.
    Perhaps says something about their "Play hard, work hard" attitude.
    anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  6. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Etaples wasn't exactly a high point in the army's history but I suppose the troops felt they were standing against unfair treatment. We had a Kiwi sergeant attached a few years ago and he presented the mess with a grass cape and green stone in a big frame. Nice guy and a good soldier but I can't remember his name.
  7. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Recall Monocled Mutineer - interesting revisit of this event with Paul McGann.
    I prefer Charley's War story, just read it as collecting this series.
    ANZACs were certainly amongst it http://www.militarian.com/threads/mutiny-at-etaples-base-in-1917.7050/
    Never good at authority & being told what to do. Similiar incidents in Egypt before Gallipoli.

Neat to hear of Kiwi secondment & gift to mess.
    anstontyke, Wings5797 and Scotty like this.
  8. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Great work super
    Mike - The Kiwi and anstontyke like this.
  9. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Great work indeed, a really cracking piece of art, i think. Congrats :)

Cheers Borek
    Mike - The Kiwi and anstontyke like this.
  10. R Dominick PlanetFigure Supporter

Fantastic!
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  11. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    AWESOME!
    Mark
  12. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm glad R Dominick brought this up, it's a beautifully executed piece, both the superb detailing and painting of the figures, and the base. Bravo..
  13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Robert, Mark & Henk.
    It was a special project - miss looking at it.
    Coincidentally I’m working in another Gallipoli base this weekend, again using actual earth from Chunuk Bair. It’s a less dramatic scene but will be nice to finally get it completed & will share here as always.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap, Viking Bob and marco55 like this.