1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Mike's Chunuk Bair Kiwis from 'The Fusilier'

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's pretty stunning work there.
    Gells
    anstontyke and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  2. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautifully detailed and composed, a real stunner Mike
    Cheers
    Al
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate .....Inspiring evocative , beautiful composition each individual grabbing your thoughts ,using soil from the actual site must have made this a project a very emotional process I know from your work that you put such passion into your interpretation of your countries military history , and long may it continue and enrich out hobby
    Cheers Chris
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Perfect, Inspirational, Great Execution from the real world in miniature.

Marc
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    WOW !!

What a set piece of painting so emotive and so honouring the heroes

Nap
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  7. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks to each of you for taking time to comment.
    I value all of them & therefore wanted to acknowledge all.

Especially like comments about "pathos" & "emotion".
    Saying you feel something when viewing another's artwork is a humbling experience, so getting kind acknowledgement from peers like this is especially welcome.

Stay safe,
    Mike

P.S. DaddyO - use of Chunuk soil was particular value-add I always wanted to do.
    I have also not painted this as I wanted my client, an ex-Pat Kiwi living on SE Asia, to be able to see this exactly as it appears in the heights.
    My climb up these & collecting it post the Commeration event will remain forever in my memory.

anstontyke and peedee like this.
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Chris,

Your post, together with every one else's here, takes me back to the peninsular 18months ago.
    It was impossible not to be moved then, my overriding emotion was of an unnecessary waste for all nations involved.
    There can never be any justification for the destruction of a generation of men in such a beautiful place.
    I will be forever changed & this project, with earth from this place, is my small memorial to those involved in this carnage.
    My aim was to try to represent this in an authentic way without in any way glorifying it.

Trust this makes sense.

Stay safe,
    Mike
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    [IMG]
    Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.
  10. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Mike, that is superb! A fantastic little scene, with heaps of drama and character in those Kiwi boys.
    Love it mate! (y)
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike you are a top bloke,
    You attract these compliments for the best reasons.

When you have a minute could you please include the monument on my thread "In memorium or in inpiration"
    in your own way please?
    It's in Figure news ( sorry but my phone won't let me cut and paste a link ).
    Paul.
  12. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Nick, nice to get your endorsement, have a few Aussies to do in coming projects to acknowledge their role in this action.
    Putting the "A" into ANZACs.
    Their were many NZers in Aussie Army ranks including at least 2 VCs I'm aware of so want to represent them in some way.
    Stay stage,
    Mike

☺️ Too kind Paul
    Unfortunately despite going through 100s of your posts & pages of Figure News couldn't find the "In memorium or inspiration" post you've referenced. You'll need to help me locate this one.

Stay safe,
    Mike
    anstontyke and NickM like this.
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Moved Paul.
    My apologies for mauling your thread Mike.
  14. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Excellent piece Mike that works very well. You painting brings out the emotion of the situation, it's a real skill you have.
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Carl.
    Thanks Mike.
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It was a excellent and informative S.B.S. on the painting of the individual figures. Many thanks for posting that.
    The finished product has combined everything into one of the best vignettes I've ever seen.
    It's visually stunning from any angle.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  17. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I can only repeat my earlier comments but knowing you've included the actual soil in the groundwork adds so much. This has made me look into my own Regiments part in that campaign which is sadly overlooked.
    However badly Gallipoli was handled it doesn't detract from the heroism of all the nations involved. Thanks for doing this.
    Scotty.
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It's brilliant Mike,you just look at it and see the urgency in the figures,brilliant story telling and composition,I really love it,congratulations
  19. Huw63 A Fixture

A wonderful, sad, poignant piece. Superb painitng and finish which is truly inspirational.

Cheers

Huw
  20. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Robert, thank you & appreciate especially comments about emotion bought out.
    Try hard to get this sort of scene to make you feel something & not just a group of figure doing stuff.
    Hi Andrew again thanks & glad SBS was of value, though not too much detail in it sorry.
    Have had lots on over last year, but have plans for a few articles in a couple of publications in next 6months so hopefully this will be of value plus help me reflect on what I've learnt on recent projects.
    Really value your words here Scotty - what was your unit mate?
    Using the soil in its natural form is not something I'd typically do.
    This time though I wanted to keep the authenticity & the foundation material I used seems to have worked out so no over painting of the soil was required.
    Ta! Brian. It's all about the story ain't it mate.
    Your pieces always seem to do this too, trust they go well at Euro.
    I'm hoping perhaps to get to Northern Hemisphere next year.
    If that happens who knows what opportunities to share our passion could present themselves.
    Hi Huw, another comment on the effect this little scene has had on others makes me feel satisfied that the legacy has been honoured in an effective way. Thanks for posting.
    anstontyke likes this.