1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Mike's 3rd NZ Div Infantryman from AC Models

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Dec 31, 2011.

1. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Mike.Happy New Year. Mike you have done a fantastic(y) and stunning paint job(y) on Andys figure.You have certainly captured the atmosphere and realism of this Kiwi soldier in the Pacific theatre of WW2.Like everthing you have done here mate.I always love to see your work,and it is great to see it here on Planet Figure.

All the best,John:)
  2. Tarok Active Member

Australia
    Sheesh, Mike! Only one figure in 2011 and it wasn't Roman? o_O Crazy, man, just crazy! :eek:;)

Lovely work, mate! Never actually knew the Kiwi's were deployed in PTO. Guess I just never gave it any thought. So who supplied the PTO gear? The Crown or the Yanks? That peak cap looks like a US herringbone cap.
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi John, HNY to you to mate!
    Let's hope those earthquakes are kinder this year & smaller too!

Value & I'm grateful for your comments, as we both strive to get a reality into our figures it's reassuring to get feedback that this is what you see. Your tips on how to photograph miniatures have also helped.

Lots in the pipeline, but will stick to one piece at a time & will share here as they get finished off.

Stay safe,

Mike
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Rudi,

Happy 2012 mate :)

Yes not a Roman, but had a debt owing to Andy to complete this for him.
    Just started on a little late Empire figure so stay tuned for updates on MedRom.

Kiwis in PTO - we were everywhere man! Lots of action in the Pacific Island especially. Of note were 3rd Div Ops & airforce units, as well as deep penetration coastal recon watcher units - bit like LRDG in the jungle but less action & more watching ;-) Something about our heritage being bush & farm workers probably contributed to this type of operation better than built up areas.

Keep smiling & stay outta of that Aussie sun!

Mike
  5. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Mike, sorry a little late on this post as just got home from 4 day road trip, too many fanta's and too many late nites, but great ride with the guys. Any way have been waiting to see this finished and I am not disapointed, great skills and look forward to seeing it in person. I dont know how you weave that magic in your work but it's stunning. a happy new year to you and your family.
    Les
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Great to hear you arrived home safely Les, trust you enjoyed getting away from the shakes for awhile.

Appreciate the kind comments & yes will be good to see what you think of it in the flesh. Already onto the next one now, will share as soon as he's done.

May you have a safe, Happy New Year!

Mike
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Micheal,happy new year my friend,i cannot tell you how much i have enjoyed looking over these pictures,the weathering you have created on this piece is superb,you have created just the right ammount of weathering to really set the piece off,i too like to weather my pieces and its so refreshing to see a fellow modeller doing this,i love the foilage and groundwork as well,i could go on and on but all my fellow planeteers have said it all,great work.

Brian :)
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Brian, way too kind mate! Can't imagine not weathering figures as it wasn't all comfy surrounding when these guys served. Actually I prefer subjects from older eras - Ancients & Medieval as you can really make these guys look grubby, as well as include lots of textures as the clothing was of inferior quality than modern examples therefore wore out & discoloured more readily.

My effort here was to create an overall composition, hopefully this is what has been achieved. Thanks for the kind feedback & stay true to "weathering" as it tells the real story of this type of history.

Kind regards & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mike

P.S. If you get a chance call by my website "The MedRom Forum" sometime, we talked "dirty" lots over the years ;-)
  9. thomokiwi New Member

New_Zealand
    Gidday Mike

Awesome, makes my version look a bit bland. Hope to catch up soon.
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,
    Really worth the wait and thanks also for all the history.
    Cheers
    John
  11. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thank you for the response John, this one got me going on painting again so that it good too.
  12. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Thomo, neat to hear from you. Hadn't realised you'd done this one too.
    It helped me get painting again, just started a new project here:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/medrenfig/messages?msg=3173.1

Also keen to talk to you about perhaps getting a base sorted for him. Can you PM me here please to discuss further?

Thanks in advance,

Mike