1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Mike's 3rd NZ Div Infantryman from AC Models

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Happy 2012 fellow Planeteers :)

For those that know me you'll know I'm not too prolific, only 1 figure finished in 2011. Actually completed yesterday on the last day of the year.
    New Year's resolution is to get more practice & complete more figures, also attend an offshore show to give me further incentive to get cracking.

This project was a long overdue paint up for Andy Cairns who gave me one of his creations to paint. Originally intended as the boxart, unfortunately I let Andy down on this due to day job & family commitments.
    However having finished it now, I'm hoping he'll still find it helpful in sharing the interesting sculpts he designs.

I've also added some of the research material used, including shots of the "homemade" camouflage uniform New Zealanders serving in the 3rd NZ Division wore in the WW2 Pacific theatre.
    Each item of clothing was unique, with a hotch potch pattern sprayed & painted using readily available commercial paints.
    Hence there was natural sheen to the painted surfaces which I have tried to recreate on my version.
    I'm indebted to NZ historian Malcolm Thomas who supplied me photos of the clothing examples. I also got a chance to study these back in 2009 to get a feel for the texture.

The equipment photos come from a recent militaria show I attended in my home town. Again these provided some ideas for the colouring of the AC Models figure.

The first photo shows the NZ troops daubing themselves with a camouflage cream - looks like axle grease mixed with pigment, or nugget, not sure.
    Anyone know what this was made of? I've tried to replicate the look on this figure, you be the judge - have I succeeded with this effect?

Overall I tried to show an alert, battle weary soldier as he patrols the lush tropical jungle of the Solomon Islands. Actually found out during the project that one of my work teammate's father actually served in the 3rd NZ Div as a young soldier.
    This project is intended as a tribute to him, plus all of the other young Kiwis that served in this tough environment. Also looking forward to reading his personal diary which he kept during the campaign, which his son still has.

Thanks also to Andy, Les & John for inspiration during the year. It has been incredibly tough for you & your families, yet you keep boxing on, sharing your enthusiasm & modelling magic with us. May 2012 be so much better for us all.

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

Andy's Original Sculpt & Painting threads
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31074
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31399
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34799

Kiwi Modeller Couple of In Progress Photos
    http://kiwimodeller.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=30&id=16994&Itemid=122

Attached Files:

Joe55, meizi, dArtagnan and 22 others like this.
  2. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Mike,
    Wow!,You have really brought him to life.You,ve given him an extra dimension with your dramatic painting skills.great.
    Cheers
    andy
  3. Dennis Active Member

England
    Happy 2012 Mike, you have succeeded in portraying an alert, battle weary soldier, well done. It is very difficult to portray the ingrained dirt and the damage to person, clothing and equipment that working in very difficult jungle conditions entails, but you have done it brilliantly, it is a very fitting tribute to those 3rd Div soldiers.
    Thanks for taking the time to post the additional reference pictures, I for one know very little of the NZ troops efforts in the Pacific campaign.
    Again, well done Mike
    Regards
    Dennis
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Glad you like it Andy, it's yours if you want it?
    You provided the canvas which despite my fears about painting the camouflage has been an enjoyable challenge. Thank you mate!

I've done a couple of minor tweaks since sorting the photos last night.
    My wife recommended some more colour in the eyes, done that.

Also "signed" the back of the base.

Keep those ideas coming mate & producing the out of the ordinary kits for us.

Mike
  5. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Kind comments thank you Dennis. As an ex serviceman I always strive to make the guys look as though they have seen better days ;-)

Particularly enjoyed trying to get the wet, wear & tear on this. Not so clear in the photos but the trouser calves are painted darker with Jo Sonja Raw Umber washes to simulate wetness. Added a couple of extra detail photos that may help convey this.

Stay safe,

Mike

Attached Files:

John Bowery and billyturnip like this.
  6. ldom77 Member

France
    I'll be happy to find a french or european distributor of AC Models !
  7. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    I love it! I remember this figure when Andy first released it and it was a beautiful sculpt, but your painting has brought it to a whole new level... amazing job. It could be a really cool boxart.

Great work once again, both on the figure and the groundwork.

Mario
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Superb painting Mike, you've captured the fetid, rotting filth and stench of jungle warfare beautifully.
  9. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb Mike, painting and groundwork is right up there mate, well done!
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's a hell of a paintjob.
    Great, lifelike and above all not to much dirt and mud. Just enough to be realistic.
    Perfect.

marc
  11. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Mike
    You've got a unique technique that captures realistic scenes.Love it.
    Brian
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Some excellent touches, the scratch from the "wait a while vine", the filthy hands and the trousers do look wet.
    Carl.(y)
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike stunning painting and groundwork, a very realistic scene. (y)

Cheers Ken
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Mike, excellent paintwork. As said by the others, it really captures a mood!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  16. Don Well-Known Member

Mike Great figure and very well painted. Love what you have done with thefigure allowing him to blend in with the jungle.
    Super work and I am sure Andy would be very pleased with your work ( but perhaps not with the time).

Don
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    I love it Michael, stunning groundwork and really great weathering on the soldier.:)
  18. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic painting Mike,all the effects you have used work so well to bring the figure to life.

Cheers David
  19. Azgaron Member

Sweden
    Awesome paint job Mike! Like it a lot! :)

Cheers,

Håkan
  20. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Mike, glad to see you painting. The look and feel of this piece is fantastic. Amazing groundwork as well. Love the camo and ingrained dirt of the field.

Jim