1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mike Chappell RIP

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by akaryu, Aug 19, 2020.

1. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Yesterday this was posted on the Osprey Publishing blog. As I haven't seen it as yet here on the Planet, allow me to share it here:

Posted by Martin Windrow
    It is with great sadness that I have to record the death of an old friend, and a hugely important contributor to Osprey's lists over no less than 35 years. On 10 August, at the age of 86, the soldier, illustrator, historian and author Mike Chappell died peacefully in hospital in southern France, where he and his wife Marilyn had lived in retirement for the past decade. I know that many people will wish to join me in sending their sincere condolences to Mike's widow and sons.

Sad news indeed, another great figure from the small world of military uniform students gone.

Pierre
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

Thanks for sharing this sad news , a great artist , I love looking at his artwork in so many of my books

RIP Mike

Nap
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  3. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Very sad news

Frank
  4. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Another hero joins the pantheon of the great departed. His illustrations for Osprey and Blandford were always characterful and finely detailed.
    My condolences to his family and friends.

Alan
  5. grenadier Member

United-Kingdom
    I think that he was the finest illustrator of British Army uniforms and equipment.
    His work seemed to get better and better as he aged.
    He must have been a fine Soldier too.
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  6. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A sad day. Mike Chappell was - and will remain - a superb artist. So many of us have
    been influenced by his work over the decades, and so many more will be influenced in
    their turn in the decades to come.

Mike
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    One of the best artists out there, and it showed in his handling of British Army equipment from his own experience.
    Steev
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Such sad news. Mike Chappell was, & will always remain, my favourite Osprey artist & one of the inspirations, for me, to collect Men-At-Arms, Elite & Warrior volumes that he had either written or illustrated.
    I will miss his artwork, particularly his illustrations of webbing & personal equipment, very much.
    RIP WO1 (RSM) Chappell, God bless.
    Nap likes this.
  9. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    One of the best out there. Sad news indeed. My condolences to his family.
    Nap likes this.
  10. phc35 Active Member

United-States
    Loved his illustrations,and his passing will leave a gap in military subjects

Vive Le Empereur, Vive Le Chappell
    Nap likes this.
  11. Airkid Active Member

England
    Just picked up on this sad news. I always thought Mike Chappell was the master of characterisation. His soldiers looked l;ike the bloke you bumped into down the pub - real people. I know Angus McB was highly regarded (and rightly so), but Mike held No 1 spot IMO.

Airkid