1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mike’s Wingnut Wings Lanoe Hawker 1/32 by Mike Good

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Jun 13, 2021.

1. fabrizio19691969 A Fixture

super work Mike!!!!!!
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Wonderful work and painted

Mobo
  3. myouchin Well-Known Member

Japan
    It's nothing but superworks!!! I love the subtle color changes of the skin and the textures of the uniforms.And the high resolution of your work has certainly reached the top of one mountain.I can only count on one hand the number of times I have seen such "eyes" on 1/35 or 1/32 scale figures.Congratulations, Mike-San!!
  4. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Man o man, Mike Good and Mike the Kiwi, now there's a winning combination.

I can't think of any worthy adjectives for this work! (y)

Joe
  5. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Beautiful work, Mike!

Scott
  6. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Miraculous. There is no one better at figure painting.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your response. Sorry to drag this out but I’m interested in your technique towards making such small dots as the pupil and catchlight. When you say you work on eyes repeatedly, do you mean you try ‘at luck’ and redo things until it’s right, or do you have a more controlled approach? Do you use magnification, paint retarder?

Thanks for any info!

Adrian
  8. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike is busily producing a book that will hopefully answer many questions that we are all baffled with - How can he paint so well??? He’s been quiet on social media while he works on it.
    I know that Mike does use an optiviser and I have seen him using glass medium. I can’t wait for his book but it won’t be until next year.
    Merryweather and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Another stunning piece of work Mike. Love the textures.

Neal
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    That's a great finish, Mike! I love that you use lifelike colors, you don't subscribe to the washed-out Kabuki style so popular these days. it's refreshing to see.

Prost!
    Brad
  11. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    If I may butt in...
    I use acrylics for most of the work on a figure, but for that specific detail, I'll reach for the oils or enamels. The small dots of paint stay wet long enough for me to place them on the piece.
    Though for pupils, especially in 54mm, more often I use the technique of painting vertical lines and then cutting in the upper and lower eyelids after I have the whites, iris and pupil lines in place
    Hope that helps!
    Prost!
    Brad
  12. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks everyone for supportive comments - time precludes me responding to each of you directly. Trust you understand.

Happy to offer some quick thoughts Adrian, there is a degree try, try & try again until you’re happy, plus Brad’s onto it! Carefully shaping & reworking each area from outside in to get look I’m after.
    I don’t use retarder, find it unreliable & prefer Vallejo Glazing Medium with Satin Varnish so more control & drying time.
    Magnification - lots! & has been critical to helping improve results I’m after. Trust this helps.
    As Andy mentioned, I’m still trying to formalise my approach for my book, so really value feedback & questions here to help me understand what people would value.
    Thanks Brad you’re on the money!!!
    Upon reflection that’s exactly what I learnt, practiced heaps & have adapted to my own approach.
    太さんさん、ありがとうございました! あなたの小さなUSGIが私にカイゼンを使用し、継続的に学ぶように促したので、あなたは親切すぎます。

MikeTheKiwi
    Nap, Merryweather and myouchin like this.
  13. Fredericus Active Member

Wow stunnig little piece of art!
    Bravissimo
    Federico
  14. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yes, magnification, too! Excellent point-I'd forgotten about that. I can't do anything at the bench these days, without the OptiVisor, or a pair of cheap reading glasses from Walgreen's.

Prost!
    Brad
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Mike. Will try glazing medium for this, interesting.

Cheers
  16. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Another superb effort Mike.
    Cheers
    Chris
  17. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Belated thanks for comments Adrian & Frederico.
    I clearly missed replying sooner.
    Happy ‘22 to you both.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Apologies for late acknowledgment here Brad
    - yes enhanced vision is essential & need not be expensive.
    One lesson is though to ensure you have glass aids & not the Perspex ones which are less reliable or clear.
    Glad you found him Chris :)
    A special project I had wanted to paint for many years.
    Nap likes this.