1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Mike’s Wars & Peaces Miniatures - Arthur

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Jul 11, 2022.

1. NigelR A Fixture

Just catching up a bit here, it has indeed been interesting. David Lane displayed his figures on our Great War SIG stand at a show earlier this year, and it was seeing those up close that made me think about going back to oils. They are so stunning and yet so subtle. But then I've seen Mike's figures up close as well, and they are stunning as well, and inspire me to get better with acrylics. So I'm still stuck! But I was just listening to the Small Subjects podcast with Mike Blank and he emphasised how important it is to develop your own style. So I need to take inspiration from both "schools" and see what works best for me.

And btw Steve, I think your work with oils is excellent as well, really effective.
    Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  2. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Nigel. Either route you take, work it and make it happen, and have fun. That is the key.

Side note: Keep a can of oven cleaner handy to wash off the bust if you're not happy with the results. I've done it for years, usually at the start of every season when working faces. Kinda like a "get back in the groove helper" tool.
    Nap, Mike - The Kiwi and NigelR like this.
  3. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Excellent! A joy to contemplate the workmanship
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks for re-livening this thread Nigel.
    Missed you’d seen my figures - presume in Andy’s trenches mate?
    David’s blending & flesh smoothness are awe inspiring for me. I’ve chatted to him recently & cannot wait to one day see these for real. His work will influence my next projects, albeit with my own take on it.

Interesting too your reference from Mike Blank who was one of the guys, along with US master veteran Pat Vess, who encouraged a much younger me to ‘go your own way’ - work out something that stands out from others. Mine ended up being a messier, detailed, texturing vibe I’m still trying to master.
    Ski mate!!
    Dang braver man than me with your oven cleaner! Since pursuing figures I’ve yet to repaint anything, instead prefer to leave oldies as example of where I was back then. Too many new projects to learn on mate!

Cheers Ned!

Below another photo for you all to study.
    I’ve attached this shot of ‘Aussie’ Arthur, taken in different light, before I completed him as a Kiwi.
    Apart from slouch hat, anyone spot other differences between ANZAC chums?
    Nothing clean & tidy bout him though eh!
    Happy to answer your questions.
    MikeTheKiwi

A2E0BD2A-5C6B-4969-BF37-EABD4DAD096B.jpeg
    KenBoyle, stoffy01, MCPWilk and 7 others like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mike

Just awesome picture ......of a wonderful model and artistic talent that brightens everyone's day

Is the difference the shirt ? ...excuse my ignorance if not ..lol

Happy benchtime

Nap
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Nap - really had enjoyable time painting this wee fellow.
    He is so special to me because of collaboration with Jean-Luc & Benoit, as well as the recognition of the legacy of wasted lives.

No shirt is same one, just looks different because of photo light.
    I do like colouring in this photo, hints at an whiter tones of early dawn at Gallipoli.

When we were there it was uncanny how the early sunrise gave an eerie morning gleam to everything including impression of a full flotilla of ships in the sea off ANZAC Cove (my grainy snap below from that morning 100years after actual landings)
    MikeTheKiwi

BF729D53-3EB0-46E8-981A-02406E50937D.jpeg
    Nap likes this.
  7. NigelR A Fixture

Yes, Andy displayed his trenches next to me at the last Euro Miniature Expo in Folkestone pre-COVID so I was able to see your figures up close and personal. They blew me away, as did Andy's trench scenes (I have his book of course).

At the same Euros, I saw demos by both Mike Blank and Bill Horan which were very inspirational. I've also got to know Marcus White, who is an amazing diorama builder and storyteller. Check out his work if you haven't seen it. All of these influences are making me want to try to move my own work forward.

Yup, the Kiwi's got rum in the jar whereas it's beer for the Aussie.......
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Sounds like an amazing Euro Nigel
    - the ultimate in more ways than one sadly.

Good to hear your reflections on our collaboration & in hallowed company too.

Yep I know Marcus from his legendary projects shared online.
    Including a neat one on Chunuk Bair which we shared some notes on. Noted it in GWSIG shows in latest Cher Ami too.

Ref Rum vs Beer - that’s a cracker!!!
    And may well have been true but not quite on this little project :)
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap and NigelR like this.
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I think they call it "anal retentiveness", Mike, but I'm a perfectionist in training, HA! My total Large Scale figure count is up to 27 now, the first having been done with enamels, if you can believe that, lol. I just hate letting crap fly, so I'd rather go for a redo.

Cheers, Ski.

P.S. You should try the oven cleaner scrub with a tooth brush, it works real well as long as you don't let the paint sit too long.

P.S.S. That fig still amazes me, btw.
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Ski buddy!
    We gotta stop meeting like this ;-)
    I’m sure locals are getting bored with our rambling…
    Let’s ruck on anyway as long as there’s stuff to learn :)
    27 in total!! You gotta have a mission to crack 50 by 2050!

Ref toothbrush - essential painting tool.
    Included in arsenal for all sorts on bigger figures.
    Used often for metal figures & resin busts helping surface clean up.
    And also useful for distressed leather effects with oil paints.
    Not too mention surface texture on groundwork & putty.
    I ferret away after their teeth cleaning days are done.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap and Steve Ski like this.
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Just painting this now.
    Unbelievable sculpt.
    Get any of Jean Luc's;)
    Benoit is essence.
    Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Look forward to seeing your version Carl .....enjoy

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Mike - The Kiwi and housecarl like this.
  13. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really nice work. And it's always good to see a WW1 subject.
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    We’ve got some beauts coming out Carl, Stay tuned…
    Please do share your version too!
    Thanks for your support David.
    Looking forward to doing more Wars & Peaces Miniatures this year too.
    MikeTheKiwi
    David Spencer likes this.
  15. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    I have seen this piece of work on Facebook, but not displayed as clearly as here. It’s one of the most inspirational painted figures I’ve ever come across, and is worthy of much time to study and marvel over. Congrats, Mike on such a beautifully completed project. Cheers, Gary.
    Nap, MalcC and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    That’s very kind Gary & grateful for you taking time to comment.
    Arthur had a tragic back story so was important to show him in a lighter moment, befitting his character. Benoît’s sculpt was divine & look forward to more of those we have been working on.
    Recommend you check them out, now full range is available in North America via Dave Youngquist at “Last Cavalry”.
    Again thanks mate!
    MikeTheKiwi
    Gary Edmundson likes this.
  17. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Fantastically detailed, taking the hobby to another level.
    I wouldn't have a clue where to begin adding detail like that.

Malc :notworthy:
  18. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Cheers Malc!
    It’s the type of figure that’s lends itself to making most of detail sculpted by Benoît. His finesse has to be seen to be fully appreciated.
    Thanks mate.
    MikeTheKiwi
  19. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    That's a beauty Mike, very naturally rendered. You certainly give us something to aspire to.
    All the best.
    Scotty.
  20. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Appreciated Scotty!
    Thanks for taking time to comment mate.
    Getting back on bench again & hope to have another project done by next month.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Scotty likes this.