1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Mike’s Captain Phil Fry by Phil Walden

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Apr 25, 2022.

1. ModelCellar A Fixture

absolutely AMAZING ...as usual =).

Paul
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  2. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks so much Steve & Paul.
    Seriously blown away by response to Captain Phil & now feeling a bit like an imposter… Is the real art in the photo or the figure I’m wondering? Still very good to hear comments about realism & authenticity.
    Trust all well in your world today.
    MikeTheKiwi
  3. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Top class, award winner... the sculpt is amazing, but you really have brought it to life....
  4. khollar A Fixture

United-States
    Brilliant painting, Mike! Terrific textures and flesh tones.

Cheers,
    Kurt
  5. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    [quote you got another book in the wings mate?
    MikeTheKiwi[/quote]
    No Mike. Just writing a chapter for a book in honour of Emeritus Professor David Horner. It will be on Major General Sir Harold 'Hooky' Walker, a British officer who commanded the 1st Australian Division from 1915 -1918. Virtually unheard of in Australia, but IMO one of the best divisional commanders in the 1st AIF.
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Again nice getting your endorsement Warren and Kurt. Thanks!
    Was enjoyable honour to be entrusted to painting one of Phil's originals.
    I've got another couple to do & hope I can do each of these justice as well.
    No Mike. Just writing a chapter for a book in honour of Emeritus Professor David Horner. It will be on Major General Sir Harold 'Hooky' Walker, a British officer who commanded the 1st Australian Division from 1915 -1918. Virtually unheard of in Australia, but IMO one of the best divisional commanders in the 1st AIF.[/quote]
    Very interesting, the man behind "Walker's Ridge" & intriguing to hear of a positive Brit general story. They were men of there time & experience.
    By the way you seen this quite different online presentation of data & information about Gallipoli:
    https://assets.stuff.co.nz/interactives/Gallipoli/the2779/

MikeTheKiwi
    Nap likes this.
  7. Oda A Fixture

Beyond words,really....

Oda.
  8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hot doggity dog! Awe inspiring is an understatement. Not sure anyone could ever top that performance, Mike, the bar has risen and rightly so. This kind of work keeps me "sniffin paint and gluin my fingers together", without a doubt!
    Nap, Mike - The Kiwi and Helm like this.
  9. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Cheers Oda, nice comment.
    Good to hear Steve thanks!
    Love seeing your work evolving & shared here too.
    You're taking on some massive projects lately, each showing what is possible when we apply attention in focus bursts.
    Keep 'em coming too mate.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Oda and kempie like this.
  10. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    As everyone said, really impressive Mike! You have brought life to the figure. (y)(y)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Mike - The Kiwi, Nap and Oda like this.
  11. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    incredible .... jaw dropping ...
  12. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts here Ken & Franck.

Back to smaller figure today as weather not suitable for groundwork in base which I typically do outdoors due to lacquer & enamel fumes.
    MikeTheKiwi
    KenBoyle likes this.
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Now I ask you......Does it get any better?.....Very impressive..........

Wayne
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hey Wayne good to hear from you & appreciate endorsement.
    Enjoying a smaller figure, now working on Wars & Peaces ANZAC with Dummy, another neat little character.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap likes this.
  15. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    dmcHobbes, Martin64, Nap and 4 others like this.
  16. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    Sorry Mike, no more superlatives left: I just stick to clicking the "Like" button now every time you present your work(s).

It's your attention to the small details in this and your other miniatures that make them stand out: the cracked leather; small abrasions on forehead, arm & hand; I could swear there's even dirt under the fingernails. Your Phil Fry looks like the life-size models from Gerry Embleton's Time Machine.

Karl
  17. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  18. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Appreciated always Karl.
    Attention to detail is an important part of what I’m trying to achieve with each aspect of the figure. Try to add small features to tell story, like the flesh wounds & dirt scruffs on Captain Phil. Each deliberately painted rather than randomly placed without thought. Good hearing they look authentic to you.
    Always a big fan of Gerry Embleton’s team, as well as our own Weta Workshop, who have just advised they too will being another NZ WW1 installation. This time in Europe!
    Thanks Steve!
    Andrew Belsey likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Just words failing me .....incredible painting , he can talk I am sure

It's the care you have and textures you create ...jaw dropping

Cheers again for the pic always great to see

Happy benchtime

Nap
  20. fabrizio19691969 A Fixture

amazing work,fantastic