1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

MIG Viking bust finished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well, here is my constant companion for the past few weeks. This is the fantastic MIG Viking bust sculpted by Young B. Song. I am a really big fan of MR. Song's work. It is a beautiful piece, very well cast, fit and finsh were nearly perfect. This piece was what I would call a bit of a learning experience for me. Let me explain:

Can you say tartan? I really wanted to paint my first tartan pattern, so this guy rose to top of my list as a candidate. Now, before anyone screams "not historically correct", I want you to know that it doesn't bother me in the least. I wanted to try several painting techniques with this piece, so it's much more an exersize in experimentation than in being absolutely correct. I have done several other firsts for me at least. I added sweat running down his face. I am titling this piece simply "The Heat of Battle" so I wanted to emphasize that by showing him starting to sweat a bit. I used gloss clear painted on after I dull coated the piece. I have also added a small cut to his face and some dirt and mud to his clothing and hand. I also wanted to see if I could render satisfying metalics with my enamels to the helmet. What you see is what you get. One last thing I tried to convey, but is hardly evident in the pictures (sorry fellows, I really over-exposed them a bit this time) was to show his fleshtones between the hand and the face just slightly differently. What I wanted was slightly redder/ruddier look to his face to convey his being worked up and getting hot from the battle and obvious wound he just endoured. I then made the flesh tones on the hand a bit lighter and less "warm" to indicate his "white knuckle" grip on that arrow that just punctured his shoulder. It's all a bit lost in the photos, but much more visible in person. Thanks again for looking everyone. Sorry for the long diatribe again. Any and all comments more than welcome! I'll have this chap with me in Tulsa for anyone who is making the trip! :lol:

Jay H.
    OKC

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Jay,

I must say your experiments with this busts really turned out well. The metals of the helmet are great and so is the pattern of the tartan. Moreover, it looks like true tissue to me.
    One thing: IMHO the tartan lacks a bit of depht as a result of a too timid lighting and shading. But for the rest nothing but compliments for your work.

Johan ;)
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jay

If this is your first Tartan, then congratulations to you, you have done well, tartan is the hardest woven material to paint over folds and creases, trying to keep the flow of the pattern is very hard... :) Great

I also like the pattern around the sleeves...

Dave
  4. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Jay
    Wow, great bust perfect paint-job.
    Pete
  5. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Wow :eek: Great work, Jay! I really like it. Tartan looks fantastic.

best regards
    Artur
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words guys!
    Johan, you're absolutely correct. Even though I did make an effort to shade the over all pattern from top to bottom, lighter-to darker respectively, it is a bit timid and lacks a bit of "punch". I will definitely work to get more shading/contrasts next time. Thanks again, very observant!

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Wonderful work Jay. It could well be that he got the tartan on one of his raids?. I love the effort that you've put into the added detail - it's hard to see the sweat but it's there.
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words Dave! Yeah, he got it on raid....that's it! The sweat is a subtle effect. You kinda have to turn it in the right light see it reflect at the right angle. Subtle but effective I think (I just keep telling myself that at least :lol: ;) ). Thanks again!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jay, you did good job, your flesh tones and metals are spot on.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  10. Calvin Member

Hey Jay, it is obvious you are a very talented guy, and your improvements are cleary visible on each piece you do.
    What I really like is the visual composition you made with the basic colours. Do not know if you did it deliberately or not, but that pyramid (blue lines) breaked by the central band (brown-green-brown, red lines) is really nice.
    I like also the different tones you used on the hand, seeing how you highlighted the beard, the whole piece seems to be on a lighting like the one from the second picture. Sometimes accentuating those differences could produce a really original piece. Not all the world will agree about that, but seeing a piece painted as lightned from an unusual or spotted source could be really attractive.

Attached Files:

11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome Jay.........I take the afternoon off and you have these beautiful busts posted when I return. The plaid is awesome and the flesh and hand is georgous. Another to look forward to at Tulsa next week.
  12. whdamon New Member

United-States
    Absolutely excellent piece. A joy to look at.

Walt Damon
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Walt, gentlemen, you are too knd!

Luca, I thought there was some reason I liked you! :lol: ;) Your observations are VERY astute. Actually I very much intended the colors intersecting the tartan to be complimentary. I'm quite pleased you would notice. I conciously made the color on the shirt sleeve an orangish/warm color, and the hair color a warmish brown-red to contrast with the tartan. I also mounted the bust in such a way as to hopefully exagerate the pose. The box art and some others I have seen pictures of have the bust mounted forward and low. I wanted to position him canted back a bit and looking up more to emphasize the fact he just took an arrow in the shoulder. I thouhgt it would emphasize the "wince" I'm sure he is experiencing. Call me crazy, but I also picked a square base to mount him on to further emphasize the right angles of the sculpt. Both the strong pyramid you point out and the nice right angle the arm makes. I thought they were repeated nicely with a base that had right angles.

Thanks again folks!

Jay H.
    OKC
  14. Brad S Member

Jay - first tartan? WOW! Cant wait to see your stuff in person. I Can tell it will be very eduacational. You have done a wonderful job on that bust. Only thing I can see would be a little staining of blood perhaps at the entry point? Of course if he just got shot, no blood would be staining the clothes yet.
  15. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Brad, thanks for the compliment. Looking forward to meeting you as well!

You know, I went back-and-forth on whether or not to add blood on this piece for a long time. I was a bit worried it would come across as a bit too much so I shied away from it. My thought was that first of all- he more than likely just got shot as he is still gripping the arrow as you said. Secondly, when you take into account all those layers of clothing, I just thouhght it might take a while for the blood to soak through. Particularly since we are talking about a puncture wound - a big puncture mind you, but a puncture nonetheless. Thanks again,

Jay H.
    OKC
  16. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Pretty good workmy friend . The disciplined paitning of yours and all experimentations turned out well and this is one nice piece for your colection. I like the cloth pattern and the look of the metals . nice work
  17. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautifull work on this bust Jay,compliments!
    christos
  18. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    great work awesome tartan (y)
  19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Costas, Christos, Damian,
    many thanks for your compliments!

Jay H.
    OKC
  20. GARD9 Member

United-States
    Cool stuff Jay.
    I really like the tartan. I think it works on this bust.
    Great job. Good luck in Tulsa.
    G9