1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

micromark dr drybooth

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by grasshopper, Jan 7, 2019.

1. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Not ready to call it a review as am not yet sold on dry boxes for oils, but where we live it’s cold and grey all fall and winter, and my usual method of thin layers, setting on table outside in sunny windless spot isn’t on..so have taken a plunge
    2FA1ECC0-8EBC-46BA-8F8F-5E7F30610395.jpeg

These are silly money, but my old hobby shop decided to become a Canadian dealer and here I am...the thing has adjustable heat, timer..shelves are like mini kitchen stove in reverse...the lowest shelf gets warmest. Never hot enough to melt resin..so far

Would work for auto modellers doing gloss lacquer perfectly..for my miniatures and oils amd yet to be convinced. Slowly testing ...many Kagamusha for one would say dry boxes mess with the paint film..and I agree...there is no substitute for thin layers and time..And oils cure with light as well as warmth and time...I may try drilling and installing a small bulb

No idea if available in UK or continent..and it’s an extravagance..but I can always warm pizza...
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Eeek. That’s some serious bit of kit. Hope it’s worth the cost.

Does it do poached eggs? Or warm up a bit of pizza?.

Mark.
  3. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Yeah, the guys version of those easy bake ovens little girls used to play with...was one of those things ..but if it enables year round painting, which right now isn’t on..then it’s worth the outlay, and while I am fine doing floor tiling and such, am not one to mess with electronics or plumbing when it comes to self build...I was using a little halogen light fairly successfully until I was dumb enough to give it to my wife to light the underside of her quilting machine..one of those happy wife, happy life things...

So far, curing epoxy, CA glue, fillers..works a treat..primers ditto...and it doesn’t overheat when left unattended..
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  4. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Wow! That looks serious.
    I built this one many years ago and I seldom use it. I only use it to dust proof when drying my oil layers.

lighbox1.jpg

lightbox3.jpg
  5. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    The design of mine works in reverse to yours, heat driven from top by fan drawing outside air, down and out venting holes at base, with shelves set along the way..it’s warmest at the base ...the info sheet give guides for temps at the different levels..
    I do see the value in it as dust and cat proof place for drying between sessions..acrylic painters can perhaps work for hours, but I find short sessions of thin layers suits me..and I make fewer mistakes when I quit while ahead.