1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Mick Jagger Of The Rolling Stones- 54mm Original

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Stephen Ward, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Here's my latest ready for paint, guys. It's a 54mm of Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, at some point in the early 70's. It is based on a couple pictures of him taken during concerts. This was challenging from all aspects, because his body language is unique and very difficult to capture to show him on stage performing. He's also incredibly skinny, so it proved challenging to get right as well. Eventually there will be a cord running from the microphone onto the base, too. This one is destined for my wife's sister for Christmas- she's a huge fan of the Rolling Stones. An extra thanks to Jerry Hutter, Steve Scott, and Jim Holt for inspiration and pointers with this project. Let me know what you think. Cheers, Stephen
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice attempt. If you wanna sculpt a character you must go so near the original that you can see it is that person (in this sculpt Mick Jagger).
    It is incredible difficult. Rene Duret has a great skill for sculpting characters.
    If you look good to the pictures of Mick from the 70's, there is alot to improve.
    But I apreciate that you try to sculpt him. It's a great task, and you sculpt.....I cannot.
    mick-jagger-a-true-icon-7.jpg Mick Jagger.jpg Mick%20Jagger.jpg

Hope you can apreciate my comments.

Marc
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    This looks great, can't wait to see some colour on him. Mick Jagger is an unmistakable character and you managed to capture his peacock strut.
    He can now be teamed up with Vincenzo's Steve Vai and my Lemmy for a proper jam session ;)

Let's get him painted up

Colin
  4. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Yeah he's not easy to replicate, however I'm no portrait sculptor so hopefully some paint will help with the likeness, which I tried to get somewhat close despite the challenges of this one. I based some of the pose on the photo on the right, and the strut was one of those things he typically did so of course I tried to get that right as best I could.
    Hey thanks Colin. This thing was a beast to do and I am honestly glad it's done and I don't have to sculpt another Jagger piece ;) I dig your Lemmy BTW, very neat subject and a tough one to do as well. I'll be painting Mick up starting this evening and posting progress as it happens. Thanks again bro.
  5. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    A little painting before racking out for the night. More soon.
    [IMG]
  6. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Nice work
    Great guy
  7. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Thanks! Here's a bit I did before work today.
    [IMG]
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks right on so far... going to do some pattern on the shirt or the pants or something? Jazz it up a bit, you know?

Colin
  9. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Thanks brother. Yeah, my buddy Ernesto gave me the idea to do flowers, I was gonna do diamond shapes or something but flowers seems for fitting for the time period.
    ChaosCossack and Meehan34 like this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    one word... PAISLEY!!! :rolleyes:
    Stephen Ward likes this.
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Stephen.
    Carl.(y)
    Stephen Ward likes this.
  12. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Haha! I will do something interesting for sure, gotta have that 70's crazy feel to it.

Thanks Carl :) Glad you like it.
  13. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Finally got this done and with time to spare. Had to finish painting, add the flailing microphone cable, and freehand the Stones logo on the base. Hope y'all like it. Cheers, Stephen
    [IMG]
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent finish Stephen.
    Carl.(y)
  15. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Really nice job Stephen, what a dangerously insane man.
  16. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    And moves like Jagger. Excellent work Stephen!
  17. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Joel. Yeah, he's pretty crazy. Amazing he's still alive.
  18. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Thanks bro. When I was making this piece, I pretty much threw everything I usually did when posing a figure out the window; no one poses quite like Mick ;)
  19. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    He must have a deal with the devil or somethig, theres no way you can abuse your body like that and still be alive.
  20. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    That's truth of the purest kind my friend, haha