1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Michel Ney bust (~1/6 scale)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    As I noted above. I felt the need to redo the eyes as they were too close to the nose. I suspect they may still appear small to some but that is my style.

The method is: 1.drill out the sockets with a dremel and add some clay in the rear to hold the eye balls; 2. Add eye balls from a different colour of clay and bake; 3. Add material around eyeballs to fill gaps; 4. Add eye lids and smooth/shape with brush moistened with dilutant (aka clay softener).

Colin

P1010067.JPG P1010068.JPG P1010069.JPG P1010071.JPG
  2. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    They look much better to me now, Colin. Far more realistic. Can’t wait to see the finished project.

Jeff
    crf likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here he is undercoated. Always a good way to check accuracy. I am good with this. While not an exact duplicate of the portrait, it does say "Ney" to me. Time to move on to his chest.

Colin

P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010004.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010019.JPG
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks again for your input Jeff....it truly helped.

Colin
    Tonton likes this.
  5. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Jaw on the floor my friend. It's all just beautiful. I thort the face couldnt get any better but it did then you top that with the lace! I love the uniforms of the period but I have never been brave enough to have a serious attempt at sculpting such a figure. I should give it a go. Watching this has been very helpful and motivational. Cheers mate
    crf likes this.
  6. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Also I saw your sculpt of the whole figure in Russia. Now thats what I aspire to do. Keep up th amazing work and keep posting tips etc.
    crf likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Glad to hear it Chris. I always worry when I do an SBS that people might think the I see myself as some kind if big shot. I just like to see how others do things and figure if I like to see others's SBSs, I should at least provide my own. I'm glad you found it useful or motivational.

Colin
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin ,

Thanks for posting the SBS ..the one on the lace is great ...can't wait to see this painted ...all that gold lacework ..it would be NMM for me so looking forward to seeing how you deal with it .

With all that lacework I can well imagine that coats were heavy !!!!

Keep us all updated please

Nap

PS ...Working on the bus ..............(y)
    crf likes this.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Frigging fantastic Colin
    I'm with Nap... I just can't form a picture of you sculpting on the Red Rocket. Though I can picture the faces of the other passengers... like, "What the Hell????"

Anyway, your piece looks awesome and the SBS's were very good (although the pics where you had the eyes drilled out were kinda creepy :nailbiting:) and showing your technique isn't being egotistical, it's sharing ideas with people who are interested and respectful of your work. If you said "This is the way I do it and it's right and the only way and you must bow down before me and my sculpting power.." That would be somewhat egotistical ;)

Carry on, I look forward to the next steps in this project. Hopefully you bring him along to Ajax, I'd love to see this in person before you start the paint process.

Cheers

Eastern Front Colin
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Attached his head and starting to fill in the form for the chest area. Rough work only and it will be extended south. At this point I am concentrating on getting the shoulders right -I.e. Thickness, relative size, slope etc.

image.jpg

Colin
    ChaosCossack, Tonton and billyturnip like this.
  11. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    excellent work of sculpt
    crf likes this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I have roughly formed the bust shape using magicsculpt over a core of sculpey (cheaper material). I will use a dremel to form the botton more accurately. I have also started to do his epaulettes - so far I have the straps and the fringes done as you can see. The repro photo gives you an idea although I am not following it exactly...using a combination of this, photos of real surviving items, and paintings.

P1010028.jpg P1010021.jpg P1010023.jpg P1010026.jpg image.jpg
  13. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Speechless. Amazing work mate. Keep it up
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Spent the afternoon putty "embroidering" a marshal's tunic - very relaxing. Half done. Still need to add buttons too. Sculpey firm decoration applied to the magicsculpt base.

Also, I can't believe its snowing here in Stratford.....erg.

Colin

P1010039sml.jpg P1010040sml.jpg P1010042sml.jpg P1010044sml.jpg P1010046sml.jpg
    napoleonpeart and ChaosCossack like this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    WWHHHAAATTTT????
    Bite your tongue sir... Way too early for the S-word
    crf likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Mssr Ney is looking awesome. The fringe on the epaulettes looks so real... right down to the hollow ends. You are a bear for detail.

Ready for paint soon?

Colin
    crf likes this.
  17. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hey mate. How did you do the tassels? It's very well done
    crf likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Chris = They are just rolls of Magicsculpt. Etched on an angle with a #11 blade and pierced at the end with a scribing tool. Easy but time consuming.

Colin
    Tonton and ChaosCossack like this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    ChaosCossack and Tonton like this.