1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Michel Ney bust (~1/6 scale)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Got a stincker of a cold this weekend so some unexpected sculpting time appeared. I decided to do a 1/6 quickie bust of Michel Ney, inspired by a portrait I have. The face is still being settled.

Image2sml.jpg

The portrait is one I got on eBay (if you can believe it) about 10 years ago. Its a copy of Gerard's Ney in the Albany Institute of History and Art, previously owned and donated by Aglae Ney's uncle Citizen Genet.

Image1sml.jpg

The bust is in red brown sculpey with the exception of the ears. I always do the outside of the ears in magic sculpt and then dremel them out to take the sculpey interior detail. I find that sculpey cracks if I try using it for this.

Image2sml.jpg P1010102sml.jpg P1010106sml.jpg P1010114sml.jpg P1010115sml.jpg

Ney is a favourite around here. the first sculpey bust I ever did was of Ney (it doesn't stand up today) and my first 1/6 figure was also of him. Gotta love that brilliant war record and that cool uniform.

cfney2.jpeg

Colin
  2. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Lovely portrait Colin. Judging by the likeness in the painting, making the tip of his nose a bit more bulbous is about all you need to nail it.
    crf likes this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A great subject and a great start Colin.
    Looking forward to seeing how you work on those eyes and the aray of gold embroidery.
    Following this little masterpiece closely.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Just a little something you threw together over the weekend when you were feeling crappy, eh?
    "Oooooh, Ah hate thet rabbit!"- Yosimite Sam

Seriously though, the bust looks awesome so far. It amazes me how you can throw together a sculpt like this so quickly, with such a good resemblance. I've seen the 1/6 full figure Ney in person and it's spectacular... I have no doubt this one will finish just as strong.

Great start, will be following closely

Colin
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. Mike - I added a bit more material to the end of his nose, worked on the face shape around the nose and opened his eyes a bit with a #11 blade. Keith I haven't decided whether or not to sculpt the lace as he is not being cast....probably will but one can paint it on and still have it in scale.

Colin

P1010004sml.jpg P1010007sml.jpg P1010009sml.jpg P1010011sml.jpg P1010012sml.jpg
    Tonton, Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin - your emails are always a hoot.

Colin d'ouest.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Just brilliant. I can't believe you just 'whiped it up' over the weekend. Very cool. Im very intrested in Michel Ney and your sculpt lookd great. Im also blown away by the pic of the full figure. Keep up the good work.
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Chris - much appreciated. You can see better pix of the full Ney figure early in my vbench, with some SBS on painting the lace in oils.

His face is pretty much done now. I did some more reshaping of the cheeks and the areas beside his nose, and some work on his hair. Next step is to sculpt the bust and start sculpting the oak leaves etc on his collar. I will use a different colour of sculpey so I can see what I am doing.

Colin

P1010030sml.jpg

P1010034sml.jpg
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Love what you do with this red stuff. Super!
    Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good Colin
    Great likeness
    Carry on, MacDuff

Colin
    crf likes this.
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks nice Colin (y)

Ron
    crf likes this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ron....how I wish you were over here. Could use some of your amazing bases but I expect with the cost of post these days they would be an arm and a leg delivered to Canada. :)

Colin
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    To Canada up to 1 kilo £12.60 2 Kilo £23.40 The Elm Burrs are not to heavy 500 Grams 1s £7.20

Ron
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ron - less than I thought but more than our neighbours to the south. I will give it some thought.

Started Ney's collar lace in grey sculpey firm.

I think his eyes are too close together so I will likely drill them out and redo them.

Colin

P1010039sml.jpg

P1010041sml.jpg
    Sturm Grenadier and ChaosCossack like this.
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gotta ask how do you do that detail
    crf likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Paint on sculpey dilutant to provide adhesion. For the straight lines, I added grey material and flattened it, then cut off the extra leaving the trim line behind. For the edging, I added small ovals, flattened them and cut the central vent with an xacto blade.

P1010037sml.jpg

The oak leaves are ovals of sculpey laid in, flattened and then textured at the edges with a small ball ended embossing tool and a small rubber, cone shaped clay shaper. Central vent for the leaves are added with a #11 blade. Acorns are small spheres flattened and bisected with a #11 blade.

I have to do more oak leaves and acorns. I can do a SBS on them.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Do an SBS on the whole thing Colin please(y)
    crf likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    OK...."but watch this very carefully....I shall type it only once......"

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I had a go at SBS'ing an oak leaf but the pix were out of focus. I will try again when I "embroider" his coatee. I enlarged his eyes with an xacto....haven't decided on a more drastic solution yet.

I didn't sculpt in the twigs of the oak as they can be indicated with paint.

Colin

P1010049sml.jpg P1010051sml.jpg P1010052sml.jpg
    P1010053sml.jpg P1010054sml.jpg P1010055sml.jpg
    Sturm Grenadier and ChaosCossack like this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I gotta know... Can you hear my jaw hit the floor all the way over in Oakville?

This is outstanding work Colin... Stunning!

Colin the NonSculptor:(
    crf likes this.