1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Michael Wittmann

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kiwi45, Oct 4, 2010.

1. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Guy's, I trust all that went to Euro had a ball and spent loads of cash. Anyway here is early work on Kirin's Wittmann Bust given to me by a modelling friend (thanks Mike) It is a work to practice black uniforms and hopefully will lead me into Young Miniature's "black Devil" which is on the shelf. Les

Attached Files:

2. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice

great start. Looking forward to see how you tackle the blacks.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Les,

You've made a really good start with the face mate. The key to black uniforms is to start with a dark grey, so you have the ability to go to a darker shade for your shadow areas. If you start with black, you've got nowhere to go but lighter, and therefore you lose contrast.

As a Kiwi, you shouldn't need any help with an "all black" figure!
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good painting of the face.
    What i can advise for the black, is that you only use black into the deepest shades.
    That's the darkest you can go.

Marc
  5. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Les,
    The bust is off to a good start.Look forward to more.Have sent you a postcard and got you a Euro badge.
    Cheers
    Andy
  6. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice start mate, I have the MIG Prod SS panzer officer on the bench so will be interesting to see your progress.:cool:
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work on the eyes! sparkly! (y)
  8. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Nice start. The eyes are spot on!

Judging by the pics would say there is something as a hard transition of the five o´clock shadow in the middle of the cheek.

The peak is too brilliant but I think it is not still finished.

I will follow that painting!

Cheers.
  9. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Grant,Tony, Marc, Andy, Rob, Gordy, Diego Many thanks for your comments, yes I plan to start with a dark grey and use black for the deepest shadows. Diego I agee the 5 o'clock shadow does show up bold on the cheek and the peak will be toned down a little, will fix both thanxs for the heads-up. Andy are you still offshore? look forward to catching up when you get back.
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Was it true Witmann was missing his two front teeth ?
  11. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Yes, Gordy, he lost some teeths when hit the cupola with the face.
  12. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Wittmann update

Hi Guy's, here is an update of the Kirin bust. Have used base coat of Tamiya dark grey (XF-63) with highlight of Tamiya flesh (XF-15). first coat of WN black oil at this stage,to deepen colour will apply second oil coat to finish. then paint medals etc.

Attached Files:

gothicgeek likes this.
  13. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I've never seen this bust from this angle before (the right hand pic!)

I hadn't realized Mike had captured Wittmann's nose and profile so well!

Bravo Mike!
    Cheers,
    Jon.
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking great Les, I don't know how I mssed this one.
    Carl.
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great job!

Hi Les!

very nicely done.
    The eyes of this bust are so small and you have a great job on them.(y)
    The shirt is grey dont forget.:cool: and the hat pipping are all white like in this original photo.
    I will follow this to the end.:)
  16. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks Jon, Carl and Pedro for your kind comments, I assumed by the box art that the top piping on the hat was red, will change this and have yet to do the shirt but was going to do it grey. thanks Les
  17. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Good on ya Les!

Inspiring me to get of my chuff & get on with things, really pleased you are getting into this bust. Look forward to seeing it evolve.

Mike
  18. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Cheers Mike, this figure stuff is really fun, a real nice change from the rivet counting of armour. sorry you couldnt make the IPMS nats here in Christchurch, will see you up in Wellington next year hopefully. Les
  19. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Wellington Les, hmmm...
    Could be a date, would be good to catch you guys & Tim again.

Any info on the Nats around the web?

Mike
  20. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Mike, Nats in Aug 2011, Wellington. I think John is going to add a link on PF with pics of the recent show. Les