Michael Miniatures - Sneak Peak

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by MattS, May 29, 2008.

1. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Wow, you guys are way too kind. Of course, all I see in my work are the mistakes or things I wish I had done differently/better. Thanks for the support and kind words. They motivate me to keep trying harder.

Thanks again,

matt
  2. marc New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Matt
    Haha, know what you mean, the artists curse!
    What you make always falls short of what you imagine you will make.
    It usually takes time away or making the next piece before you gain some perspective and begin to appreciate your own efforts.
    working in epoxy also means radical alterations are painful..

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Mark
  3. je_touche Member

Germany
  4. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Hah!!

Now you know why I gravitate toward simpler figures. Being a full-time professional sculptor (I don't have a "real" job), it is not a choice but an imperative. Even the simple figures often take too long for the amount I am being paid. It is a simple exponential sum game: quality work takes more time. Often, LOTS more time....

This is why I don't normally do Hussars. But then you have another job, don't you?

Cheers!! ;)

Mike
  5. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've just doe some reading on the Ernst August, he was rather a tradgic fellow.
  6. MattS Active Member

United-States

Mike,

Yes. I work in the residential construction business. I do have a job as of right now! If things don't pick up soon, that may not be true much longer!

I would love to sculpt full time, but doubt I could afford it right now. :-( Maybe someday.
  7. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey Mike!
    You may or may not be aware of this, but to many, many people you are a minor (or in my case a MEGA!) GOD! I know in many past threads you've said that there's no money in producing master figures, why then do you not start casting and selling your own figures as 'the MIKE GOOD range of stunningly good scale figure's, instead of others benefiting from your talents for a small flat fee.
    You are the man!,
    Jon.
  8. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Wow, Magnificent!!!
  9. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Just beautiful work, Matt. I'm eager to get one!
  10. David Hood New Member

United-States
    This is really nice. Love everything about it. I have been following this on your Blog. Now I want to see you paint it ;).
  11. EasyOff Member

That piece is sooooo far beyond my being able to do it any justice at the present time, but I've got to have it in my inventory ready for the day that I feel that I can deliver on such a fabulous piece. All jokes aside, thank God Andrea didn't get ahold of it, we'd be we'd buy it and have to recarve it ourselves.

EasyOff
  12. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Well, thanks Jon!

I don't want to hijack Matt's thread here, but I would like to offer an explanation. You may be surprised to know that when I first started sculpting figures, I DID have a figure business!

The reason it was so short lived is because I found out very quickly that I don't like the rigors and responsibilities of running a business. I am a creative person and a disorganized artist. Running a business was not only no fun for me, it ate severely into the only part of the process I liked, sculpting. I found it much easier to do freelance work which began with work for the toy industry. This actually paid pretty well. Not so much anymore, but still much better than miniatures.

So, I could be a mediocre and disgruntled businessman or a starving artist who does what he likes. The choice was a no brainer, really...... :)

Cheers!!

Mike
  13. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Mike,

I have to say I applaud your decision and dedication to the art. It's much the same for me. I could easily see the "business" of things getting in the way of the creative side of it. I'm happy doing freelance work myself. On the other side of the coin, you do sometimes have to take jobs that you wouldn't necessarily think of doing yourself, but because that's what the client wants. This can be helpful though. As an example, I was reluctant to take on this Hussar bust because of the complexity of the subject, but it did teach me alot having gone through it. I'm just enjoying the ride right now and hope the few pieces I've been able to crank out lead to more work in the future.

Easyoff - thanks for the encouraging words. Glad you like the piece..

Matt
  14. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Totally superb sculpting Matt ,look forward to seeing it painted.

David