1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Metal vs. Resin

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by renarts, Nov 5, 2008.

1. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Why is metal still used for figures over resin?
    Industry giants not wanting to retool?
    Is their a quality of metal (outside of armor) that is superior to resin?
    Is resin more expensive material wise?
    Is it an issue of material safety?

It seems to me that with the lighter weight, less expense, better detail, easier to convert, less packaging that we would see less and less metal figures than resin.
    It strikes me that as prices increase, compnaies would seek a more cost effective means to survive (rather than outsource to off shore contractors where there is a problem with quality control i.e. Andrea's after the battle et al.)
  2. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Speaking for myself, I tend to focus on 54mm medieval foot figures. I prefer metal due to penchant for polishing iron and steel weapons and armor versus painting.

That said, metal and resin each have their advantages and disadvantages. Metal is a commodity - its price tends to rise and fall - and it is tougher to convert. It is also heavier, leading to potentially higher shipping costs. Any casting flaws and cast-off metal bits are simplly thrown back into the melting pot for re-use. Theoretically, there is little wastage.

Resin, however, is a one-shot deal. Any distortions or other casting flaws render the subject useless where it is then (or should be) consigned to the trash. Resin does have better ability to hold owing (in part) to the flexible and forgiving nature of RTV molds. Resin (versus cast metal) is used almost exclusively in producing aftermarket detail parts for aircraft and armor models.

Can't speak for the safety issues, but both are probably bad for you in terms of production vapors and inhaling particulate matter.

Cheers,

Glen
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Im not sure. Resin is much cheaper overall, especially at start up cost. You can get a good resin casting set up for around $500 while a metal casting set up will run you in the $10,000 - $20,000 range to start up. Manufacturers don't pay for the shipping of the products so that is of little consequense to the manufacturers, but I think the major reason for Metal is tradition and the false ideology that metal figures are of higher quality then resin figures and more for 'serious' figure painters.

I like Metal figures as well as anyone, they are nice to paint and feel more solid then resin, however I think that resin produces a better and crisper detail and is very much preferred to use for conversions etc. Although in a perfect world, weapons etc would be made in metal as it is more durable and if a bit warped is easily bent into shape.
  4. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Like you Glen, I like the polishing characteristics of the metal when it comes to medieval figures and the weapons. As for the bendability that Anders mentions, much better solution than what resin offers for sure.
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

In terms of modellers' preferences for one medium over another there are a few prior threads that touch on the topic, including a virtual show of hands from earlier in the year.

As far as the manufacturers' reasons to stick with, or go with one v. another there are lots of things they have to weigh, not the least of which is customer preference/expectation which drives a lot of the hobby.

Large-volume metal castings are overly heavy and prone to casting issues so resin is a very sensible choice for larger stuff, although white metal can be recycled back into the melting pot in the case of a substandard casting (assuming the QC staff aren't having coffee!) but resin can't.

Einion
  6. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Well for myself and my partner we chose to go with metal for our new company. I have done both resin and now metal casting. I try and keep quality as high as possible. All the detail is there on both the resin and the metal.

I do really like the fact that if I have a bad casting I can just remelt it. If you have a bad resin casting then it just goes in the trash the material is wasted.

We got a great deal on our casting equipment so start up was not as much as it cold have been it was only a little higher then a big resin set up. Metal is not cheap but neither is resin. The rubber prices are about the same. In fact I think that I am paying less for my rubber then most resin casters are. With the economy slowing down both resin and metal prices are coming down.

Both materials have advantages and disadvantages. Thin resin parts are very brittle and can be broken easily. Metal is heaver and harder to convert. So it is really a to each his own kind of thing.
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Interesting thread. I think Anders hit on a point that my brain was juggling around on this topic, and that's the idea that the metal has a perceived "quality" that resin doesn't. With that said, I'll pose a question that comes to mind for me in this debate: Do you think that the use of metal for these "kits" has anything to do with the fact that this hobby harkens back to/stems from the much older hobby of collecting of "tin solidiers"? And that metal tends to be a much more "appropirate" material to use in that tradition? (Logical reasons like costs and manufacturing difficulties asside of course.)

Jay H.
    OKc
  8. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Jay,

I would say that tradition for sure plays a part in metal still having its fans. One other thing I can say that metal has going for it is the molds have a much longer life span versus resin molds. I have heard that you can spin cast resin but I have not tried it. It might be the best of both worlds.
  9. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In the past I have centrifugally cast 54mm figures in resin with excellent results; the resin is forced into all of the smallest of cavities and left to spin until it starts to go off, the level of detail on the final pieces is excellent, also production output is faster if you have made a mould containing several of the same pieces.
    Tommi
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Certainly in the manufacture of flat figures at least Jay.

Roger.
  11. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    I heard that some manufacturers want to keep certain
    genre/scale in metal because the retail price for metal
    figures/bust is way more that resin ones. More $$$! YEAH!

But I think that the days of metal figures are numbered...
  12. antony New Member

Australia
    I don't work in the figure making industry but in Fx for film and TV. It is a common thing to grind up any resin flawed casting for use as fillers in either, other resin castings (only used to a certain level of course), or in silicone molds. It does not interefere with the quality of casts or molds if done correctly. There is little to no wastage with resin if the person running the shop is thinking out of the box a little. And I would definitely have to agree that resin has crisper details than white metal. Alpine Miniatures and Young Miniatures for me are the absolute best in the business over everyone when it comes to casting.
  13. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Antony! The check's in the mail ;)
  14. antony New Member

Australia
    Look forward to receiving it mate! :p

I showed several of yours and Youngs figures to guys I work with here in Australia and in New Zealand at WETA Workshop, guys who sculpt, mold and cast everyday for a living, and they were amazed at the detail and flawless work you guys do. :)