1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mermillo.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Uruk-Hai, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Since last time Ive been painting in highlights on the plume and feathers. Painting and wheatering the loincloth but Ill probably give one or two spots, perhaps of blood? The skintones have been painted in as might as well but the tattoes arent there yet. If anyone has ideas and some inspiration for celtic patterns to share, it will be truly appreciated. Ive also planned to paint a slight cut above the nipple.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ive been painting the inside and outside of the shield. This figure had been put aside for a while due to troubles of painting wood with no impressions at all Ive had. Although it probably will get better with some more practice Ive settled for this result as I want make progress and eventually finnish this figure. But how do you guys think the wood looks? Also the lower part of the shield is supposed to be dusty.

[IMG]

[IMG]

As usual all comments are welcome.
  2. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Janne-

IMO, the wood on the back of the shield appears light in comparison to the well worn and weathered front. Maybe stain with burnt sienna or umber?!

I do like the outlining and grain aspect of the wood.

Keith
  3. Edson Member

Mexico
    Is looking great so far Janne, I like it the shield very well "weathering" :) , and for some tattoos, what about the empire symbol on his left shoulder (SPQR) maybe an ex-soldier, now becoming on....GLADIATOR!!! :lol:

Regards
    Ed
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks terrific Janne........I may have to paint this one myself....good work
  5. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Hi Janne,

Well done so far on the gladiator. I like the weathering on the shield and I think the inside and wood grain effect looks great. Bearing in mind that the inside of the shield faces the body of the person the weathering would be far lease than the outside - therefore I think you have done a great job on it.

Cheers
    Franco

Keep posting more photos
  6. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Janne,NICE JOB (y) (y) !! The shield looks good at the moment;perhaps,as the others have suggested,a little dark wash to make it better ? Keep up the great work and post more soon.Cheers.
    Kenneth :)
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thank you all for your views.

The wood of the shield could very well be darker but Ill have to go for a darker basecolour next time. I noticed when I put on a filter that the painted veins melted in to the base and I fear that I do one more the disapear to much. I actually had to repaint the dark stripes separating the planks of the shield after putting on the dust on the bottom inside.

Ed!
    Actullay I got the inspiration from the movie, hence the hatch in the base to come and a big cat pawprint in it. ;)
    But I was more picturing a Celtic prisoner of war becoming a gladiator after capture, therefore the light skincolour.

And again thank you for taking the time to look, analyze and reply.