1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Merklein Horses

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Guy, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Bill kindly emailed me the flyer pages for Merklein Horses

Many Planeteers have inquired about the horses sculpted by Bill Merklein which Mike Blank, Greg DiFranco, Luca Cullati (See the Sculpting thread “Aosta Cavalry”) and I (used for the SBS 21st Lancer in my new book). Attached is a scan of Bill’s color flyer showing the four horses now available. More are in-process.

The horses are really excellent, sculpted in 1/32nd scale in various poses, and are each sculpted as a specific horse breed. They are available from Bill Merklein at:

Merklein’s Equines

156-04 71st Avenue

Flushing, NY 11367 USA

Phone: (718) 591-2082

Sorry, no e:mail address or website for on-line ordering. Kits are in resin and are priced at $25/each plus postage.

These kits are perfect for 54mm figures in the Hornet scale and are easy to modify or convert. There is a possibility they will also be available on-line soon – more on that later.

Bill

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks Bill
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Red Lancers also sells them.
  3. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I have used one of these horses for a diorama (I'll post pics soon), they are lovely but prove a bit pricey in the UK - about the same price as a figure.

Guy do you know if he has any plans to increase the range?
  4. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    Yes, Bill has two more in the works, and plans others after those.

Bill
  5. dario966 New Member

hopefully this is only the begining of a new era in the historical miniatures art/hobby. I hope for Mr. Merklein equines to lead the way to more acurate portrayal of the warhorses. i.e. when the equines of a particular time period do look like ones from that time period, or while leaders/officers/knights are mounted on fine steeds their retainers/troopers sit on much coarser hacks etc, e.g. Scythian nobility on the Akhal-teke like horse while common warriors on some more coarse steppe tarpan...
    In sum, this is great stuff!
  6. I.Cocker New Member

Hi Bill,

You hinted out thet are perfect match with true 54mm (Hornet range) so seems to be similar in size to the golden oldies but work to do Historex items ... how they match to the larger scale figures we are now finding in the market (the almost 60mm) ? Wonderful items and looking forward for other poses at least perfect equistrians finally! Hopefully some old sturdy heavies will be available for those like me who enjoy the ancient/medeival period!

Any idea of postage to Europe but maybe it is easier for us to get them from RL it seems!

Ivan
  7. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Bill does someoutstanding work in this (and all) areas. The horses are incredibly animated. They're actually good enough to paint on their own-without a figure on top (blasphemy!)

He is a professional sculptor having done work from toys to the holographic dove on your Visa card. Incredible painter as well.
  8. Mike Blank New Member

Hi!
    I have to agree with Bill about these horses, they are great with some very nice animation. They are slightly smaller than what we are kinda used to here in Europe, but if you convert or scracthbuild your rider you can easily adjust the size and scale of the figure to match the horse... also remember that horses have varied in sizes throughout history.. some beeing quite small indeed.
    Being cast in resin they are also very easy to work with, glue and drill. The manes (and tails) are also cats seperatly,a great bonus if you want to create your own sculpted part. I have here included two photos of my work on these horses.
    They well worth checking out!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Mike
  9. kastigamatt Active Member

Italy
    Yes, there are more horses coming, a "medieval horse" little bit larger for men with heavy armour and even a camel....
    Luca
  10. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Luca!! Good to see you! :)
  11. ori Active Member

Fantastic horses!!
    Are they compatible with the Historex horses?
  12. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    They are a little smaller and more suitable for Hornet and 1/32nd scale figures (they are actually 1/32nd scale).

Bill