1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Medusa

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, May 14, 2011.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi All,
    Here is where I am at with this excellent bust that I reviewed a month or so ago. It is approx 80% done at this stage with just needing to add some fangs to the open mouthed snake, add some forked touges to a couple of snakes plus some basic paint touch ups and to do the jewellery on the upper arm. I also have to get onto the pedestal base. The skin is done in oils to represent a pale skin tone with a green tinge of this beautiful cave dweller. Her robes were also done in oils to show the slightly see through fabric. The multitude of snakes were painted in Vallejo's to represent about 7x species of snakes and they have taken me the longest amount of time in painting the kit so far.
    Please feel free to comment.
    Ben

Attached Files:

gordy, dArtagnan, toy4x4 and 14 others like this.
  2. marius'mules New Member

United-States
    You did a stellar job at the subtle shading and highlighting of the pale skin tone.--- it looks like, what one would imagine a skin tone of a cave dweller appearing like.

The reptilian looking skin going up the middle of her back, is a nice touch also.

I don't notice a green hue to her skin. Perhaps the lighting of the pic is bleaching it out?
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
  4. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    The snakes look great!!!!
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks James and Jason.
    Hi Steve, glad you picked up on the reptile skin on her back, was an after thought to blend her features into the snakes atop her head. The green tones are slight as I did the undercoat as a light green hue and then painted the highlights with the colours you would use on any pale human flesh tone.I think this tones it all down and makes it "realistic"
    Ben
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I bet all those snack were a pain to paint Ben.
    Excellent work on all the seperate ellements,
    Carl.
  7. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ben,great finish on an intricate kit!!

Glad you didn't turn to stone once done! ;)

Cheers
  8. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ben that's a beautiful figure, great painting.

Cheers Ken
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have to say you've made an excellent job on htis kit. Her eyes look great as well as the flesh tones. The snakes were well worth the effort they are extremely lifelike. I also think the red clothing is exceptionally shaded. I don't normally go for the these kind of kits but you've really made me think very strongly about getting this one.
    Thanks for leting us see her.
    P.s what scale is she Ben?
  10. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looks awesome Ben, very nice detail.

Andrew.
  11. MBD Member

Spain
    Those snakes look alive and the technique s flawless.

Is a beauty of a model, sorry I did not see the review.....would you mind to put the link for it? o could you tell what cia and what scale is this "luuvy"?

Cheers

Mario
  12. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Wow, what a piece of work. I love the skin tones and how you have represented her ribs and stomach muscles. The look on her face says it all, look at me if you dare. The snakes are great. Excellent painting Sir. I hope all the snakes come seperate for painting or else I think it would be a nightmare to paint.
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  14. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work ben...!!
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you to Jamie, Ken, Andrew, Mark and Steve, Glad you like her and its a pleasure to show her.
    Grant and Mario, she is pretty close to 1/10th scale, similar to a Young models kit, I'm not sure about how to do a link but will try it soon.
    Carl, the snakes have taken me the longest so far and still have a bit to go yet.
    John, the snakes are not all seperate but do come in several sections that make it easier to paint. I was able to paint most of them before assembly.
    Ben
    Link to review http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39577
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work so far Ben,love the choice of colours.

Cheers David
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    A beauty Ben, a huge step forward from the last time I saw it. Really top notch painting.
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    When seeing the review casting of this figure I was unsure about those snakes masking her face too much to be honest but I can honestly say now seeing the painted version that the sculptor has got it just right, the eyes peering through those hanging snakes work really well and add a nice dimension to this piece.

your painting has really brought it to life and the work on the snakes alone are great, for me the way you have done the eyes are my favourite thing about it, excellent job all round.

Steve
  19. salonikios Active Member

Greece
    very nice subject and very well painted! from which company is the bust?
  20. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Very nice work!