1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Measures of Men" - German feature film on the Herero and Nama genocide between 1904 and 1908

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Dr Bison, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    So, I went to the cinema last night (no fears, I'm not about to spill my daily life out on pF...) to watch the newly released film "Der Vermessene Mensch" (here's a link to the film's webpage with a short trailer) on the atrocious treatment of the Nama and Herero peoples of what was then German South-West Africa.

measures of men.jpg

The film itself was ... well, very German, but what it did do well was to illustrate the background to that first genocide of the 20th century - in which 25,000 - 100,000 Africans died -, the execution of it, the mindset of the German colonisers, and it is also the first film I've seen which depicts the German Schutztruppe really well.

DerVermesseneMensch_006-scaled.jpg

This is small wonder, as the historical and military advisor was none other than Harry Fakner, who used to collect German Colonial uniforms, many of which are shown in this "Verlag Militaria" book:

German Colonial Troops.jpg

Conclusion: As a feature film it's not that great, but as a history lesson on a long-forgotten aspect of colonialism it's very good, and as a source for modelling Schutztruppe soldiers in the field it's excellent.

Karl

PS: There's a rather good film review in the Guardian here, BTW.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Sounds good Karl

That book is excellent as well

Cheers

Nap