1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

May release from Grey Army, and news on price reduction.

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Lovejoy, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Lovejoy New Member

England
    We have our next release finished and ready for moulding – it should be available to buy in May. It’s another 90mm kit, this time depicting a Samurai of the Edo period (1603-1867), dressed in kamishimo, preparing for seppuku.

In a bid to keep prices low, I’m unsure whether to release this model in metal or resin. Because of the size of the tatami mat, our metal casters will have to use a larger mould than normal, and because of the materials used in sculpting, an additional master mould will be needed. This means that in metal, the figure is unlikely to be less than £35. However, in polyurethane resin, the figure would be available for about £23, and of course postage would also be cheaper. If you have an opinion on this, please feel free to comment.

We are also now able to reduce the price of our first kit, the 90mm Celtic Briton, AD 61. With the final invoices in from our suppliers, our total costs were less than was estimated. This means we can drop the price from £35 to £26, plus P+P. We believe a 90mm metal kit for £26 represents exceptional value, and hope to keep our prices as low as possible for as long as we can. Customers who purchased the kit at the original price have been refunded the difference.

Here’s a picture of the Samurai master model. More images are available on our website: http://www.grey-army.co.uk

Attached Files:

2. Einion Well-Known Member

Except for anything that is really thin or fine (where it tends to be overly delicate and warpage is too common) resin is much preferable to white metal IMO - it's less messy to work for a start, glues better and is much less tiring to hold for long periods, but much more than that detail is sharper and the surface is better, usually LOTS better.

But some people are Luddites and love their white metal! I was one for many years, before I saw the light :)

Einion
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I can't reall yanswer the business end of you post, but I certainly prefer resin over metal. BTW, that is a very nice figure and will no doubt be a big seller.
  4. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Hi Michael!
    Good luck with The Grey Army.
    I, too, prefer resin to metal.

Spike.
  5. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    For many reasons resin is prefered to metal. You should go with this especially for a big kit
  6. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks for the comments, everyone - I guess I'll be going with resin!
  7. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

If I had the choice of metal or resin for the same figure, I'd go with resin for detail, price and weight. But since I make my choices based on subject matter, that's not an option. In both cases. I'd be replacing anything like a lance with a piece of brass rod so warpage (resin) and bending (metal) become moot. Repair of damaged parts is simpler in resin as well. Also, for many poses, resin is much more stable. I've had a couple horses require unsightly reinforcements to keep them from collapsing after only a couple months while a rearing resin horse has been stable for several years.
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I agree that the choice of materials can vary with the specific subject, and from the look of this figure, resin is better than metal.

It's a great-looking figure and kit, too. Your sculpt has capture the look of intensity but also calm on his face. I'm excited for its release.

Prost!
    Brad