This rifle was also known as the M1888 Commission Rifle. It was not designed by Mauser but by a 1988 German Rifle Commission looking for ways to ensure German weapons remained competitive with their potential rivals. It was a three shot bolt action rifle originally, but was converted to loading with stripper clips in two batches - 1905 and 1914. The primary rifle shown in the photos has been converted in this manner. It was used mostly by Landsturm, Landwehr, Matrosen serving as infantry and some Reserve units and was usually replaced with the Gewehr 1998 rifle.